Double Arran

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just to add a wee note. Today was completely amazing with a totally disciplined pace line meant that we maintained a steady speed over lap one. Alan was and is a total legend the way he took spells but to be honest you have to say exactly the same for Paul and Jan. There were a few dark moments the first being turning into the wind at Lochranza. I was paced up and to my surprise we KoM'd Pirnmill to Brodick despite the pace up the climb and the headwind into Brodick.

Second lap and with the energy in Paul and Alan and the arrival of Robbie you could tell the DA was on. The climb out of whiting bay saw my second moment of darkness. The combination of wind, sharp hills and nasty transitions put me in the red and I knew I was done. Imagine my surprise when reaching Lochranza it was still 50 minutes and 15 miles to the boat. I gave it absolutely everything I had left and even seeing the boat pull out as I arrived felt more like a victory than a failure!

Thank you Paul, Jan, Robbie and Alan for an unforgettable day!

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Was a great day out although a bit disappointed too. Starting to struggle by the Lochranza climb then going through Lamlash the second time my head went quickly followed by my legs. Probably a sensible choice to chuck it but it does mean unfinished business!

I may need to take over the clubs Arran obsession now that Paul has got the Arran Triple Crown (the single, the 56/50 and the Double) - like George says he'll be feeling like Alexander the Great not having any more lands to conquer!

Amazing guys. Truly outstanding effort all round. Worthy of an award. There should be a roll of honour in the club rooms noting the SAers and the few, the very few, DAers.

I had my doubts it was doable on the day given the windy conditions at the weekend and the small numbers riding. That makes it all the more remarkable.

Massive CHAPEAU

• 2 weeks later...