A serious DA post

P McDonald

Not much to add other than to second all of the above sentiment, good wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery Darryl. You'll be pleased to know the bike got home in one piece.

Hopefully we'll have you gracing the bunch with your presence before long.

In the meantime put your feet up for a bit.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Following Darryls crash on Saturday the people living in the local cottage were incredibly supportive and generous in helping Daryll, providing a quilt, support for his back etc etc. They offered many of us to tea or coffee also. As a note of thanks and update from the club I've sent a card and some flowers to Muriel.

Andy

Nice one Andy. Chapeau.

I spoke with Darryl earlier today. He's in good spirits and chatting away about his plans for recovery and getting back on the bike, despite the seriousness of the fracture - I gather from Darryl's comments it wasn't a straightforward break. However, surgery went well and the prognosis appears positive. Added to which I think the drugs are agreeing with him!!!!! All good signs.

Darryl passes on his regards and great appreciation to all, especially to the guys in the DA bunch on Saturday for looking after him immediately after his spill. He say he will post updates on his progress on the forum and some other medium called facebook.

M

• 2024 Subscriptions

Thanks Guys, and thank you Andy for organising the card and flowers. I have to say that everyone was brilliant at keeping me comfortable while the ambulance arrived.

As for progress, as Paul reports I had surgery yesterday and things seem to have gone ok, as far as we know at this early stage. They have rebuilt me with titanium, but it's only the 3Al alloy , not the expensive stuff my bike is made from. NHS eh...always cutting corners.

They have had me out of bed to day and walking with a zimmer. Didn't feel too bad. Apparently it's 6 weeks or so of partial weight bearing exercise, which may include some light turbo spinning. After that, who knows? But, hopefully I'll see y'all on the road soon. My goal is to be on the bike for August.

Cheers

Darryl

Good to hear things are going well Darryl. I doubt very much you were comfortable at the side of the road but at least the rain had stopped! The gas and air seemed to help your comfort immensely though. Looking forward to your speedy recovery. 

Nice one on the flowers Andy. Muriel and her hubbie were first class in their support. Not in the least bothered when we handed back a sodden duvet and pillows. 

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Paul

Thanks! Being philosophical in situations like this often boils down to trying to see things in a broader or different perspective. As in 'it could have been worse', or ' actually a broken leg allows you to catch up on your reading". So, am I being philosophical? Am I f**k :)

Actually I'm happy to report I am at home now and looking forward to watching the rest of the Giro.