A serious DA post

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

It occurs to me that we've had some very good discussion about them tactics and plan for Saturday. 

This seems like a DAft and obvious question but given that we are about to embark on a 112 TTT what are folks plans / thoughts / advice about nutrition and hydration (apart from having plenty)? 

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

It occurs to me that we've had some very good discussion about them tactics and plan for Saturday. 

This seems like a DAft and obvious question but given that we are about to embark on a 112 TTT what are folks plans / thoughts / advice about nutrition and hydration (apart from having plenty)? 

Andy

2 bottles for me, 1 with water and 1 with high 5 4 in 1 drink then refill after the lap. Easier to get carbs in with a drink than eating.  When we did the single a few weeks ago i didnt finish 1 bottle for the lap, whereas when it was the 56/50 i finished 2 bottles after a lap and another 2 with the 50 mile loop...i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

For food some bars, banana and a couple of gels for pocket. For the stash im not sure, last time i just had a banana  if i was to have a sandwich or something more substantial i'd struggle to digest it due to going straight into the climb after eating.

• 2023 Subscriptions

No such thing as A DAft question, just a DAft questioner !!

If it helps I plan to take musette (poly bag) with enough liquid to refill the 2 bottles on my bike and enough grub to refill my pockets. Haribo's and scones type things. Musette will be planked in undergrowth at bench 200m up the hill from ferry.

Ohyadancer!

T-43

Andy,

For what it's worth - Big Breakfast before leaving house or en route to ferry. No rolls and sausage on the ferry.

Two bottles - one on the bike, the other stashed with food at end of SA to shave some weight for climbs.

Pre open wrappers on all food; saves on the faff of opening wrappers DAns la saddle or rewrap everything in tin foil the night before for ease access - wee tip from the pro teams.

Little and often - along the lines of do turn at front, sit in to recovery (ha ha), take a bite and drink while in the chain. No malty loaf as it takes ages to chew thru.

Apart from the obvious of ride bike for 56 miles in under 3 hours, then repeat if you can - what are the tactics/plans???? Climbers keeping it real on the inclines? do we intend to keep as many bodies in the game for as long as possible? is someone going to call the pace based on real time read outs from a smart gizmo? do tell.

Tesco sell Musettes for 5p...

Decent breakfast - for me Weetabix (though other wheat based breakfast cereals are available).

Some prefluid beforehand.

Some coffee, a couple of muller rice and bananas for the ferry.

I was thinking one bottle per lap with my usual caffeine energy tablets and a little salt (to stave off cramps), several gels (4-5 per lap - I'm ok with these but understand some can't stomach them), a couple of energy bars and my usual mix of pain killers to keep my dodgy back at bay. I'll also pack a mars bar as a wee treat for the start of lap two.

Jeez, I'm feeling hungry now and could do with some chocolate. Must be feeling better!

• 2023 Subscriptions

No such thing as A DAft question, just a DAft questioner !!

If it helps I plan to take musette (poly bag) with enough liquid to refill the 2 bottles on my bike and enough grub to refill my pockets. Haribo's and scones type things. Musette will be planked in undergrowth at bench 200m up the hill from ferry.

Ohyadancer!

T-43

Another DAft question/questioner thats been annoying for a while, What does the 'T' stand for in the countdown?

• 2024 Subscriptions

DArryl,

I reckon I'll be at your house at approximately 5.45 on SaturDAy morning to give us sufficient time to get to the terminal, stow the bike rack and purchase tickets etc. Breakfast on the hoof I reckon.

Getting all too real now. More concerned about the DA than La Sufri...DA.

M

Roger that :shock:

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Guys

Interesting and helpful discussion - had to google musette mind you! Liking the reminders about painkillers, a wee Mars treat, opening them feckin foil wrappers, breakfast and boat advice! 

Definitely think a wee stop off at Arran Aromatics towards end of lap 2 to pick up gifts for my lady is a very good plan! If we work at mean speed of 21mph how long will this give us to pick up smelly things?

t-36

Andy