A serious DA post

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Team DA

I can't believe it is May next week. The hour is upon us. I am proposing 3 Saturday's in May for the DA. 7th, 14th or 21st. Looking for a stable weather day which we should know 3 days in advance.

For racers information there is the British Eagle in the East 7th May ( not much chance of entry as its an ESCA race ) the 2,3,4 race at Dunlop 15th May and the Sam Robinson 21st May. Just my personal situation but I am not bothered about missing any of these for DA. Would like to do Dunlop but can't do everything, life too short !

So folks know the deal, here it is

- as most know the rules are straightforward, disembark 0755 ferry, start riding about 0805, and be back in time to embark 1355 ferry which means 1345.

- so that is 112 miles in 5.67 hours = 19.75mph average. In reality with a 5 minute stop for refill of liquid and grub this means 20.05 mph for 5 hours 35 mins

- so we need to be organised so that the 5 min stop is actually a 3 min stop

- this is a team effort to try and get some team members to achieve DA

- this will mean no stopping for anyone who punctures or has mechanical - participants can get familiar with route and rejoin to contribute if they wish

- it sounds very hard and it will be very hard BUT IT IS POSSIBLE. 5 riders have done the 106 mile version and the 112 version is not 6 miles harder as the shorter route includes the significant climb of the Ross.

I wondered if you could let me know availability for the dates to try and see what dates are possible to give it a go. Realistically will need at least 6 true and honest men who have ambition for immortality. I might even make up a spreADsheet of availability :)

DA forever

( if this is achieved I will buy multiple crates of beer for an open house Worlds road race party in September )

• 2023 Subscriptions

That's it, DAte set, Saturday 21st May. Only realistic date to get a quorum.

4 more weeks to hone fitness and stamina.

Alan, if you get into national this would be an excellent warm up :)

We can always do it again for fun later in the year just for you.

If anyone wants to join for a single they would be very very welcome. Pace of first lap will be normal SA pace as that is the best pacing strategy.

Potentially available for a pacing SA effort - not 100% I'd last even that but we'll see. If I can still turn a pedal and do a turn I'd aim to continue pacing until it goes POP!

For other SA'ers I'd plan to eat somewhere then might do slower 2nd lap or do the String and Lochranza climbs each way as additional Spain training.

Will be driving down to ferry if I trap. Space for one bike on the carrier.

• Committee

Should be back from Hamburg

Yeah, I could cut my Balinese yoga retreat short, reschedule the meeting in San Francisco with the Apple guys, take the red-eye to the New York office for a check on the start-up (what a burn rate!) and then make  Heathrow for the last flight to Glasgow the night before DA.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yeah, I could cut my Balinese yoga retreat short, reschedule the meeting in San Francisco with the Apple guys, take the red-eye to the New York office for a check on the start-up (what a burn rate!) and then make Heathrow for the last flight to Glasgow the night before DA.

Are you going on the Balinese yoga retreat too?