A serious DA post

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Andy, probably not me next weekend, planning to race on the SunDAy at Dunlop.

Meantime lADs its T-13,

I think we have a stupendous chance, the team as far as I can remember is,

Alex B, hopefully the week off will cool his jets as they were burning supersonic last Thursday,

Jan Ullrich, see above, also needed as data man as I will likely lose mental function after 85 miles!

Robbo McEwan (the climbing version!)

DArryl who will no doubt deliver a very solid performance after his 3 week intense & mixed training,

Alan McLean (one of the surviving originals along with Davie B and Fergus!

Andy Gummers (if he gets back from Swiss spa with triple filtered oxygenated schnapps)

Mibbe James the demon climber

Colin (remember it's 7am ferry depart and remember 10mm Allen key)

JuDAs van tool (who will be finally accepted as the prodigal son if he flogs himself for the cause)

Mibeez Alan McB depending whether he is doing national next day, please Lord don't let him get a slot :)

Gregg O, ditto Alan,

Mibeez Paul L and Mark O

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm a definite for this Paul ........ ahem ....... as long as the boat doesn't leave early!

Seriously though I'm really looking forward to it and although I don't have 112 miles in my legs at that pace I'll go until I drop!

Andy

• Committee

?Tactics for flatter bits. Through and off or strung out as TTT?

TTT gives stronger riders the opportunity to spend a few pedal turns more at the front.

I suggest captain Paul makes the call depending on wind direction etc.

Can we afford to stop for any mechanicals?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Single pace line, straight to back. Definetly the most economic way for a TT of any distance. The stronger go for longer, not faster.

Forget the string of shame, you gotta believe, it can be done.

Most unfortunate but no, we cannot stop for any mechanicals, the committed team player is expected to rejoin asap and contribute many peDAl turns

Ohyadancer!

• Committee

OK, I nominate you to call the pace. Hoping for a reasonable SW wind to smash the times on the west side of the island.

You calmed me down when I tried drafting the bus at 30mph last time. It was fun but would finished us off before Lochranza.

If I take SoS I will return to Brodick and retrace north road to add final horsepower to the glorious finishers.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sitting tonight with some recovery juice and thoughts turned to DA. In terms of strategy I am thinking as below but welcome other thoughts and suggestions,

- single pace line, straight to back just like the pro's do on a long TTT

- pace regulated at SA pace plus a little bit extra from the start

- looking like a decent number so probably about 30-45 secs on front which will mean a spell every 4-5 mins

- important point is do not increase pace, keep it smooth as possible with guy swinging off easing back and going straight to back, no macho keeping the power on to make the next guy work to come through

- if you are having a good moment then go a bit longer on front before elbow flick

- elbow flick is mandatory, we do not want people behind accelerating to get through and do a spell

- be realistic about your personal ability, flick that elbow as soon as you start to let the pace drop or preferably before

- communication is critical. I will take personal responsibility for making the call to up or down the overall pace with the help from my data friend whom I hope will have the last but one single stored for up to the second pace comparison on his Garmin (I will contact you separately Jan to check out your thoughts on this)

- mechanicals, sorry but we all sign up for not stopping, it is just not feasible, I really hope it does not happen to anyone,

- please think about your personal strengths and play to them, obvious examples would be Robbo or James leading on the climbs into the headwind or Jan and Alan doing longer turns on the flat. But, and this is the really important bit, if you are particularly strong at one discipline please remember others are not so ride to the teams abilities rather than your own,

- the best team player will lead the team within their abilities on their preferred terrain but will sensibly pull back when it does not suit them,

- it is very likely most people will have a crisis in confidence or form at some point, it is just fine to either miss spells or roll through for a very short spell

- it is not fine to miss spells without shouting to the team that they should drop in in front of you

- when a single line goes round a corner or makes a descent round a corner the line always stretches with gaps opening, remember the first guy can take the best line and see the pot holes etc but everyone behind cannot, if you are on the front the very best thing to do is hold back for a few seconds to let the line reestablish itself, this is best for the team effort,

- and finally, shout out the pot holes for the team behind,

Some practicalities

- we make a stash about 500m from ferry for spare bottles, food etc, so poly bag or similar with provisions for 2nd lap should be brought along

- the stop time will be about 4 minutes max so think ahead on quick changeover of bottles, food etc

Look forward to your comments and additions. I can't wait to give this a bash as I Truly believe that everyone is up for dong whatever they can to make it happen.

DREAM IT, BELIEVE IT, ACHIEVE IT

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Paul! Really good post and feeling very excited about next week. Most of the hills are short punchy climbs except out of Lochranza assuming clockwise assault. Is there an optimal strategy for longer climbs? Is it single line TTT or are there other solutions?

Also this has been said already but anyone taking a mechanical on lap 1 makes their way back to pick up the bunch on lap 2.

Here's to the Spirit of Arran!!

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

AnDy, I reckon best strategy for climbs is not to big a deal on the short climbs but on the longer ones possibly best to have the better climbers doing longer pulls but remain in single line. If headwind out of Lochranza this could be an opportunity for Robbie and James to shine ! And they can get some relief on the flat afterwards :)

It's good to have a plan but the road, the legs and the form will decide on the day :)

• Committee

Hi, may I politely suggest that all wear club kit if they have it. (Exception for Gregg O who may wear regimental pipe major formal dress so long as he brings his watts too)

Also Jan who was wearing some groovy harlequin Rapha cross kit today and tells me that he is between sizes at present.

I have spare S jersey for 65-70kg rider. Post here if you would like me to bring it on Sat.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan, you may politely suggest whatever you wish as you are a founder member of the SA club. I am very sorry to say this but I was thinking of wearing old kit for two important reasons,

- the shorts I find much more comfortable, it is 112 miles and I need every marginal gain

- the New Jersey pockets are just too small to store the necessary provisions for the ride, the old jersey pockets however are pretty substantial,

I really hope this is ok with you, Dr Founder Member

:)

• Committee

I was going to wear old kit too for same reason. I have checked the rulebook and old or new is fine so long as blue and yellow.

Can everyone please ignore the extra summer 1515 ferry service. Please note it does not exist for the purposes of this exercise so dismiss it from your minds. The only ferry that matters is the 1355 from Brodick. We have to catch that ferry to complete the Official DA. Any deliberate slacking of pace, blocking the front, going through slowly, to catch "the later ferry" will be dealt with severely and receive a DNF.

Complete defaillance, jour sans, total bonkfest are the only acceptable reasons for late ferry and will of course not be regarded as a DA but may be mentioned in dispatches as a worthy attempt. Personally I expect the man with the hammer to give me a call somewhere around Machrie on the second lap.