Club Kit Design - Open evening 7.30 pm Friday 31/1/14

Mark O

To all members,

The committee have been looking at the question of a new design for club kit. At this point we have arrived at a short list of options, - a handful of new designs including a freshening up of the current kit.

The committe are well aware that it is not possible to meet the sartorial preferences of all members but are of the view that members should still be afforded that chance to have their say on how the kit looks.

To allow all club members an input in selecting the look of club kit for the foreseeable future we are having an open evening at the clubrooms on Friday 31st January 7.30 pm - 9.00 pm, at allow you all to view the proposals, comment and nonimate your favourite, by way of secret ballot.

While we do value member input we recognise the need to come to a decision and act on it with a view to having new kit available by the spring. The open evening will be the only opportunity to look at the proposed designs comment and vote on them. This is your chance to influence matters. Based on the outcome of the ballot the committee aim to make a final decision in early February with the result being notified to members thereafter.

Hope to see you all then

• 2023 Subscriptions

Will make every effort to get along on the 31st.

Knowing that we have the option of design services from the new preferred supplier of club kit, can I ask if any of the designs we are being asked to to vote on have been created using their input?

Mul the designs we came up with are mainly from Jane & Chung with a bit of input from the committee the new supplier design input will be put to use when we have a majority of what were going to use and let them fine tune our design so that it fits our needs if i'm wrong someone will correct me

Greig

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mul the designs we came up with are mainly from Jane & Chung with a bit of input from the committee the new supplier design input will be put to use when we have a majority of what were going to use and let them fine tune our design so that it fits our needs if i'm wrong someone will correct me

Greig

Grieg, with respect to the hard work done by various people to get us to this stage, i would prefer to have a Pactimo design included among those we will vote on.

Professional designers, working for the company that will print, cut and produce the kit, are likely to have ideas we won't have thought of and which will suit their production techniques and limitations.

Hence I woul like to see their input into the process. If we're paying for it, we should consider it as one of the options.

M

Mul,

We could have an off the peg design from the generic Patimo 'stable' but would again have to seek a consensus from the membership. That said whatever we do Pactimo would be lookng for a degree of design input from the club. What they will do is take our chosen template, let's be clear here that is what we are deciding on in the next few weeks and then bring the design expertise to the basic design to ensure it works with their production techniques, fabric and garment patterns. We get a full 5 hours of this for free as part of the process.

In my opinion it is a better use of those 5 hours tweaking a broad design concept which the members have had their say on rather than spending it coming up with a design which then has to go to the members' comment/vote before you can start fine tuning. There is always the chance that a Pactimo inspired design gets the thumbs down and you're back to square on.

Rest assured we will benefit from professional design input. I imagine there will be tweaks and changes to the basic design opted for by the members. I hope this allays your or anyone elses reservations.

M

• Life Members

Speaking from a designers point of view, the process of a design consist of 2 phase - the first is the concept (idea) & then the detail design process (the fine tuning). One is just as important as the other!

The evening in question allow us to choose the "Concept" so that we can (as Mark said) get Pactimo to fine tune that concept to make it more visually pleasing & technically feasible based on our requirement/their technical expertise! Hopefully that "free 5 hour design time" would be sufficient enough to do so.

If on the other hand, you want Pactimo to come up with a "design" just based on our required colours, then as Mark said we might end up with something we don't like or want. Therefore that free design time is wasted and were back to square 1.

Now, if you said - right, it doesn't matter if we have to pay for "extra design" time for Pactimo, just get them to come up with a design(s) that we're (as a club) happy with. Then, yes go ahead! But we'll be paying for design time we might not benefit from.

This "elimination" procedure would help us to make the design process more efficient in terms of cost & hopefully time.

Thanks for reading

Chung

• Life Members

Thanks for all the effort Chung, Marco et al. Let's not get sidetracked. Roll on the new kit- my pro vision top is getting threadbare !

Just like to add that Jane F (JWCC member & wife of Graham F) put in a lot of expertise & effort into getting this process thus far. Also not forgetting all the committee members as well!

Al, with your model figure you'll look good in anything :-) Hope you're enjoying yourself as usual down under!

Cheers

Guys/Girls

This is growing arms and legs (no pun intended). We have gone down a certain road regards the process of the design of the club kit after what seem to be an eternity just getting to this stage. I, therefore, see no point in diverging from that path at this juncture. The time for talking about talking about kit design is past and it is time to take some action, otherwise we'll never make any progress. Mul's point regards professional design input is valid. It has been addressed. Jane has a degree of knowledge and expertise in this area which we have utilised to great effect in my opinion based on what I have seen produced. We will have professional input to the final design for the suppliers. Please see Chung's very clear explanation of the process.

As decided by the committee there will be no on forum viewing or voting on the designs - this is a private, in house matter for members and not for general public consumption. Sorry if this puts individual out we cannot meet every single person's individual requirements. The intention is not to be difficult or prissy about this but I am being firm on this point in order to keep matters progressing. I have the beginning of April in my sights as a target date for new kit being delivered, not ordered. Friday 31st is the only opportunity to view and vote on the proposed designs unless the committee direct me otherwise. Apologies if this does not suit the entirity of the body of the kirk.

M

• 2 weeks later...