2016 adventure

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi guys just thought you might like to know ground staff at Malaga airport have just started an indefinite strike Today, it only affects one airline yes it's easy jet so be prepared for possible delay in getting out

Billy 'little ray' (of sunshine) Mac, I hereby declare you as driver from airport to Ronda. The rest of us can kick back with a GnT or 6.

Fair shout you auld goat. I'll bring a thick book.

And thanks for all the good wishes from the rest of the Joansin bunch.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well lasufriDA was monumental. No surprise there :)

It was hot, it was well organised, it was hard, it was nearly as hot in Scotland this afternoon !

Utterly beautiful Spanish village woke up to bangin music at 0800 Saturday morning and hundreds of keen cyclists.

Rolled out downhill and apprehensive and actually got a bit cold in the first 5k. Lead cars moved on and the keen bunch started to rack up the pace. Only to be halted in their tracks after 10k by lead car and motorbikes keeping the lid on things. Hit the first climb and it was effectively neutralised for the first 7k of the 14k climb. Which was beyond beautiful in terms of views and general "I'm really glad to be alive". At halfway the lead car moved on the lads racked up the pace. Everyone then went up at own pace and over the top for a humidinger descent. About half way down descent I had to hit some serious brakes as the lead car had restricted the pace. And it was held to 16mph for about the next 15k which had a lot of chaps not to content. Boys will be boys and want to get stuck in !

Anyway the plus side was our entire JWCC regrouped before next big climb. On this climb I held tough with big Al and James before saying adios about 1/2 way up. Managed to rejoin with a group of about 10 a short time after the long and incredible descent which must have had about 30 hairpins and the most beautiful views imaginable.

Just after rejoining we hit a long drag which in Spanish terms means 6k of grovelling!

Then hit the Montecorto wall which was only 2k long but had about 300m of 25% in the middle of an otherwise steep climb anyway. Can't really do it justice, there is nothing comparable in bonny Ecosse. So Alan and James flew up and I topped out with LA Guns and we started to work with some others on the flat back to the start town to end the first loop of 133km. Just after the start town where you had to be formally registed to do the next 67km, I managed to catch James on the descent and we worked with some others for 20km or so to the next feed.

Things went significantly downhill for me at this point as I just could not eat as I had stomach issues. Bad move, as immediately after this feed I bid farewell to James and rode on to the next station where I was in a state of 'bonk'. After sitting in a bit of a state for a while LA guns joined me and we became compadres in distress !

Anyway after an incredible calory consumption, and I mean about 10 little cheese and ham sandwiches an energy bar, 2 cups of coke and half a melon just for me, we were both rejuvenated and rode the last 25 miles to the finish. Strava estimated I expended 7800 calories so I guess not to big a surprise if you miss a feed you bonk !

Summary. Utterly brilliant. Would not have missed it for the world. Heat really does get to you in the end. My time and LA guns time was 9h24m, my top speed 51.5 mph, average speeds somewhat lowered with the restricted zones was 15mph. Estimated liquid consumption would be 8 bottles plus at least 12 cups of coke and water. And tubs of water poured over us by very helpful people at feed stops. Alan then James finished in front of me and LA guns.

Can't wait to read other reports as myself and James left early doors this morning for flights home.

DA next :)