2016 adventure

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

So the votes have been counted and.............drum roll........

10 for Lasufrida sportive in Spain end May

1 for Stelvio Mortirolo sportive end May

3 maybe 5 for Flanders sportive

Also Darryl heading to Pyrenees late summer

So for those with very understanding partners you could potentially have 3 trips next year!

Being as I promoted Lasufrida I will contact organiser to check out places and dates for next year. Then ideally Richie will want to come and feel compelled to organise everything :) it should be pretty simples though as multiple daily flights to Malaga giving many options for length of stay etc.

I'll investigate other logistics like start- finish point, town to stay in etc.

• 2023 Subscriptions

What I have found out so far

2 early morning flights to Malaga each day from Glasgow. Return flights about lunchtime. Easyjet and Jet 2. The place to stay is Ronda which has many hotels and looks rather magnificent in pictures. It's about 75 min drive from Malaga. The sportive start and finish point is in El Gastor which is maybe 20 mins from Ronda.

My suggestion is to hire a small car for every 2 people simply because in my experience it is more cost effective to do this than hire vans etc ( I know it's a bit surprising, so I would check it out again). Small hatchback can take 2 bodies and 2 bike bags with the seats down and the small hatchbacks are cheap to hire.

The 2016 date is Saturday 4th June. I propose to go early Thursday 7am flight, in Malaga about 11am with time difference, then in Ronda about 1pm after all the hire car faffing. Itinery would be

Thus pm, build bike and ride about 30-40 miles to explore the area.

Fri am, get out for a longer ride with at least 3 cafe stops, moderate pace.

Saturday, Lasufrida 195km, 5000m climb. Full gas.

Return flight lunchtime Sunday meaning leaving Ronda about 9.30am.

So I'm looking for a double up buddy :)

Also just as a pre alert - full Arran double will be a couple of weeks either side of this date when everyone is in the peak of fitness.

No direct BA flights from Glasgow and the hingin' aboot time can be few hours with a change of airports required on some flights. Air miles and hassle in London versus direct flight with full price seat. Decisions decisions.

I think my preference would be to do a couple of day's cycling in the area before the event - similar to the NC. I kind of don't want to ride the bike a day or so after the big effort. Just my thoughts but fairly happy to go with the flow. Could probably do - Tuesday/Wednesday to Sunday or a variation thereof. Any takers on a buddy up - room/car?

M

Just read the Cyclist article linked in Alex's post. One question and one question only. Who the hell let Paul McDonald anything like within 100 metres of the European sportive directory, let allow read it???!!! The climbs appear monstrous, the descents will give me sleepless nights for months to come.