17th April – Whole Club Run to Sheila's Diner

GrahamF

• 2023 Subscriptions

Another humdinger.

9 of us had magnificent run up the rest and down hells Glen.

Significant technical issue left an member with previous hammock award riding one legged with crank in back pocket and some pushing from me into Lochgoilhead. Where we started knocking doors trying to get a 10mm Allan key. After some blanks we got superb help from lovely lady who phoned a guy who drove round and we had it sorted in 2 mins. And to cap it all we could not communicate with rest of bunch who had continued up Hells Glen due to no mobile signal.

Then we had a grand wee 2 up where said member had further technical issues which rendered him wee ring only !

Caught up with bunch at Sheila's about 2.30pm.

Said member was on forum just this morning giving Toole A Deserved slagging but how is that for karma working in mysterious ways !?

I don't think we have a double hammock winner but there is some serious competition this season..........

Another brilliant adventure

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tough but enjoyable day. At the top of Hells Glen we were waiting for a while so first Ian went down for a look to see what was up, then after a while Alex and myself went down to see what was up. We had a good look, went up part of the climb to the rest again then managing to stop a car and ask the driver if there were a couple of cyclists up the hill. Reply was no so we could at least turn back from that climb and go up Hells Glen again then a 2up to Shiela's...really tough going with the wind. Was pretty much spent by the time we got there, then rallied a bit until the bottom of the Clune then after unshipping my chain that was my legs gone for the day!

• 2023 Subscriptions

By way of contrast the other bunch had a straightforward time, meeting at the bottom of the Clune before sailing on the 0900h ferry with the Cowans, taking our group up to eight ( Carol, David, Paul, Eric, Andrew, Alan, Graham and myself.  We quickly made it past Loch Tarsan on the B836 and then up that climb to regroup.  A steady pace up the A886 on a climb that just never seems to end, before the grin inducing, adrenaline shot of life reaffirmation that is the descent towards Strachur.  Andrews suggestion that we do a chain gang along the side of Loch Eck then kept us going a fair pace and then on to Sheilas Diner.  Jane met us at the diner and we waited and waited for the others and then gave up waiting, went for the ferry (minus Jane and Graham).  After the ferry there was the usual undoing of the morning meetups as we retraced our steps to home and an end to our playtime.

• Life Members

What with all the mechanical today, seems more like a Reliability run than a spring one ............... :grin:

Feeling even more disappointed that I missed today's run now, as I would have loved a few of the mechanical challenges ;-)

Glad everyone got home ok!

Cheers

Chung

Ok have to hold my hands up after mechanical almost stranded me ! If it wasn't for Pauls superb crisis management and some very resourceful locals I think I would have been looking for somewhere to stay in Lochgoilheas. However that said it was still a great day out as always although I noticed my right leg is now twice the size of my left after single leg pedalling for 3 miles ! Sorry to have missed the others st Sheila's diner where the food was rather excellent as well !

Fantastic run today think a was out ma depth in more than one occasion if thats me meant to be easing masel back in way the fast group, am no religous but had vist fae jesus at rest as am sure a died and was brought back lol, just thanks to paul and res o the guys for sheltering us most o the way hope to be fit enough nxt week to take turn at frnt saying all that was 121mls for me over 8200 cal ma wife said a looked like skelenton when came in great day out with beautiful scenery only on decent mind, good to be back out again with good company ðŸ‘

• 2023 Subscriptions

yes, it was indeed a great day out, the headwind from the Erskine Bridge pretty much all the way to Dunoon made it a real tough one, but good miles in the bank for Spain... never a dull moment of course and this years Hammock award is hotting up to be a nail biting affair :)