broken collarbone

Tony

Anybody had one before? How long before you were back on the bike?

I had a bit of a "senior" moment while approaching Crosslee roundabout from Houston last Friday night (forgot where my brake levers were). As a result I went into the turn too fast and enjoyed some "tarmac time". When I got up I found my right arm had stopped working. (Fortunately a very kind local cyclist named Bill had spotted my misadventure - he loaded me and my bike into his massive Volvo & drove me home.)

If anyone has had experience of this particular injury I'd be glad to hear about it. In particular I'd like to know whether you opted for the "surgical fix" or not (apparently it speeds recovery time, but not by all that much?).

Thanks

PS at least I didn't sign up for F*****rs Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Sorry to header that Tony

My son Lewis broke his and was back on his bike after a week!! He was only 6 at the time. Young bones and all that

Me ? Well, I came off on the Wanlockhead trip 3 years ago and was off for about 6 weeks or so. But this was more to do with the broken wrist than the collar bone which okay after 3-4 weeks

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tony, nea luck mate

anyway, if it helps with motivation to get back on the bike then, after I broke ribs 18 months ago

- 3 weeks back on turbo (tentatively)

- 6 back on road

- 8 able to ride in bunch again

- 10 back racing

Oh ya dancer !

Sorry to hear about your spill and resulting injury Tony. I always approach that roundabout with caution as even in the dry it seems to be dodgy. Wonder sometimes how the Renfrew Bunch don't go down given the speed they go through it at.

Can't offer advice re getting back on the bike but when I broke mine when I was 16 I was able to outrun the polis by about week 2 (don't ask........young and foolish lol).

Colin Hello, beer !!

• Committee

Tony

Definitely speak to your orthopaedic doctor and tell them you're a cyclist. About half the orthopaedic surgeons in WoS have bikes (mainly Colnagos with Super Record) so you should get a sympathetic hearing.

Unfortunately you can't undo your broken bone so whatever you do you're going to have to spend a few weeks off.

A

hi tony

soory to hear about your tarmac time it happened to me six weeks ago distral radius fracture to the right wrist now got steel plate and a load of screws in my wrist i was baco on turbo after two weeks and made my return to the road yesterday only did 12 miles but felt brill hope you get back soon

brian k

Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !!

Tonywish you a speedy recovery a friend broke his last year took him a while to get back on the bike but he did not get the op he now has a horn shape in the middle of the bone and hates cobbles blames.the fracture

Sorry to hear about the spill Tony. I broke mine badly playing rugby many years ago and went to the Western A&E who just put my arm in a sling and told me to 'take it easy' for 6 weeks (the bone splinter was protruding through my skin and this caused me more distress than the break itself..). I've since been advised that the break should have been re-aligned properly (via surgery presumably) - the fact that I didnt have that done means that I occasionally (and still after all those years...) get numbness in my arm/hand which is unfomfortable and a bit disconcerting. I also lost much of the power I had when training (bench press etc) in the gym. Without knowing the medical ins and outs I'd recommend (as I think Alan does above) that you go and see a 'proper' Doc and get considered advice quickly. I was playing rugby again within about 8 weeks from what I remember so it did seem to heal quickly.

Hope you are back on the bike soon.

Brian