Don Smith Memorial - 6th March 2016

KennyS

Medium Route

Potholes heading into Beith.

Again heading into Dunlop.

Route out of Stewarton (Bloak Road - B778) is initially rough, but super smooth from national speed limit signs. Worth doing!

Junction onto the main A736 from the B778 very dodgy as its just after a blind corner for cars coming from the left.

Route posted takes a small backroad to eventually join Auchentiber Road. Pretty rubbish surface. Be better going another 100m north on A736 and turning directly onto Auchentiber Road.

Temporary traffic lights in Kilwinning on main road just after right turn into town.

Rest of the route pretty nice even Dipple Road from Kilbirnie.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Can confirm the downhill stretch of road before Muirshiel turnoff, heading to Lochwinnoch, is potholed and surface eroded. It is always like this, but Alan and I rode it today and it provoked comment, so just watch out, especially if descending in a bunch.

• 2023 Subscriptions

short route:

some glass on the cycletrack at kilbirnie near where the old railway platform is (this may have been cleared by now the glass was there this morning)

On the roads there are potholes all over the place but the worst are on the stretch towards Barmill - the left hander as you go over the bridge needs care particularly as you may not see oncoming cars. The sweeping left bend downhill into Barmill is a nightmare - there is a section where the whole of left side of the road and half of the right is in a terrible state, it is also going round a bend so if riders are avoiding the worst of the potholes they will likely be on the wrong side of the road.

Balgray road - some more potholes, but also some mud and run off from the field, it could get icy if cold

Bowfield - half way down there is a lot of water runoff on the road then again towards the tight left hander. Could be tricky if it freezes up - the road has been gritted at least.

• Committee

Many thanks to Jann, route checkers and sign on crew.

Long route was great with dry roads, sunshine and a big bunch ticking over around 45kph on the flat. The speed eased off through Greenock in preparation for the Clune where Alan McBride powered away and, I understand, even caught some of the guys who had not stopped in Largs. This will doubtless be disputed hotly. I cannot confirm the claims because I was pumped oot the back 30 secs into the Clune and only managed to hang on to a small group from Kilmacolm with Darryl and Colin by luck and prayer brilliant tactics.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Great day out. A bit epic for me. Dropped bottle before we even got to Lugton. Stopped and searched bit couldn't find it. What to do? Chung and Ritchie came by and Ritchie kindly gave me a spare bottle. Longstory short; I ended up cutting across country via Barmill an Dalry, and Haylie Brae. Got to Largs just in time to get the bunch. Steady from there until the plane crash on the Clune. Got into a nice wee group with Alan McL, Colin, and a few others.

Big thanks to Ritchie for the bottle :)

Great day out.

I was still putting my gloves on when everyone left so our wee group of 6 stuck together. Got caught at a junction so we never saw the bunch again. We expected to pick up some stragglers but everyone must've been going well.

Stopped at the BB as it would've been rude not to! :)

I'm sure I could've gone faster if I had had more to drink from my other bottle :)

At least my near 80 miles is more than I've done recently.

Thanks for the wheels and to all the helpers at Lochwinnoch:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Fun day out, thanks again to all the helpers for letting us ride. Double punture somewhere along the coast(was hoping to get to the bottom of the clune). Thanks to James for helping me out with a tube, tow and not laughing when my pump got stuck on my valve 😂

Big thanks to all that made today possible , really enjoyed it and was happy to be going well after being out for a couple of weeks. Best bit of the day however has to be Pulling into the car park totally burst to hear Ian and Ians comedy sketch and early nomination for the hammock award about one turning up without a helmet, having to turn the car around, rectify the problem, only to discover the other minus a helmet. Brilliant, keep it up boys ;)

• Committee

https://youtu.be/RJ5WyjqJey4

I am still working out how to use my rear camera. It did not record the epic full gas Burnhouse charge which would have been well lit, heading south. Not super impressed yet but it may be operator error.

Here's a few minutes including hitting a deep pot hole @ 4.19 (no warning, rubbish shouts from bunch). I was then asked if I had punctured and replied "not yet " @ about 4.32 just as the tyre flattened

Big Alan catching "some" of the non-stoppers is as understatement. He caught all the non-stoppers!

Iain MacTavish and I didn't stop in Largs. We soft pedalled around to Wemys Bay just waiting to hear the shouts of the main bunch, but hoping to at least get up the climb after Wemys (how do you spell it???) Bay before we were caught. Nice natter incidentally. A solo rider caught us and from Cardwell garden centre we worked together, still sure we would be gobbled up any second.

Clune was a killer as always and Iain dropped back a bit only to rejoin in Kilmacolm. By that time we were gubbed and I ended up riding solo to Lochwinnoch (even got my PR on carrethmuir!). After the long descent before the Murshiels turning there was no-one in sight and given its downhill all the way thought it was all over.

Pacey decent down Johnshill only for a yellow and blue flash to scream past me. Big Alan. I chased to catch him and we had a rather speedy journey through Lochwinnoch (understatement!). Passed him again just before the lights but it was pretty much over before that. No idea how he caught me so quickly when I had around a half mile of clear road behind me just before Lochwinnoch! Seriously flying!

Anyway, great day on the bike. Brilliant weather too - can you ask for more?!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great day, started to suffer going up the Clune then popped completly just before the Carruthmuir climb. When Alan and his small group passed by going over the moor i jumped on the back and lasted about 5 seconds before being dropped!

https://youtu.be/RJ5WyjqJey4

I am still working out how to use my rear camera. It did not record the epic full gas Burnhouse charge which would have been well lit, heading south. Not super impressed yet but it may be operator error.

Here's a few minutes including hitting a deep pot hole @ 4.19 (no warning, rubbish shouts from bunch). I was then asked if I had punctured and replied "not yet " @ about 4.32 just as the tyre flattened

If i knew you were filming i would have come through and done a turn on the front rather than hiding at the back :D

Good film Alan petty you didn't have a Wee screen in your garmin you could watch as it could be very useful as a rear view mirror for all those crazy drivers out there today. Well done to Kenny Jan et all on a great bit of organising fab day on the bike. good to see the other Iain (ex Fullerton wheelers) back out today

• 2023 Subscriptions

Really enjoyed that run in the sun for my first ride as a 'wheeler', great conditions and good company.

Our compact group of 6/7 riders kept a steady pace yet still found enough time for a coffee and scone in Largs!

Thanks to the organisers and fellow riders for the day.