2013 Trip

Guest EPCC

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Subscriptions

I hereby call for a curry night. Things to be decided. Not least Coach McBagel's plan to counteract my winter wine intake!!

Sugget 14Th or 15th September. Alternative dates acceptable. But we are at decision time gents.

Tom

I'm away to Turkey from 9th-23rd September so can't make curry night.

Please post up what you decide on so I have plenty of time to dip wife's purse/save up.

Is there no such thing as a flat sportive :-(

• 2023 Subscriptions

Was researching the Duva in Majorca and came across the reviews below - just something to consider..... just sayin like,

Majorcan sportives take a bit of getting used to. Half a dozen guardia civil trafico on gleaming BMW’s and a pair of following ambulances make for a smooth passage and a reassuring presence on the rolling road closure course, but speed is dictated by the slowest member of the peloton, making for a slightly frustrating ride for the posse of fit fellas champing at the bit behind the lead car.

But the whole set-up is rather civilised once you relax and accept that passing the motorcycle cops is a strict no-no. And, every so often, there will be a timed section where you can really let rip. The 14km climb of Puig Major saw the lead car pull away and it was every man or woman for themself. A tasty-looking half-a-dozen or so riders pressed on so I hung in there as long as possible before getting shelled out halfway up the mountain.

I took part in this new sportive organised by the Duva hotel/ Wheels in Wheels (just up the road from the Puerto Azul) on our last day of our weeks hol. It was a brilliantly organised event-part closed roads with motorcycle outriders and a stop at the track in Sineu for refreshements-not just energy bars but some Tapas too! We had a pace car which we had to stay behind which was frustrating for most of the day as you spent a lot of the time on the brakes but this is how they do it in Spain and once you got used to it was a not too bad. It just means you all stay together but you get timed sections to see how good you are.

Oh ya dancer !

• Committee

I will probably be I'm Majorca during Easter holidays so am unlikely to return so soon to with the bunch.

Last Easter we stayed at club pollentia with jet2holidays. Cannot recommend it highly enough as a base near pollensa.

The accommodation was good with bike storage in rooms. The food was exceptional and several grades above Italy this year. Steaks cooked to order and endless variety of courses.

The resort has three pools and big comfy bars for evenings.

If you do not want to do one big event then you could do three or four fantastic rides in a long weekend based there.

There is choice of mountains, including the awesome 900m descent into Soller, or flatter rides to the east.

Have fun.

Alan

I will be along for the curry night on the 14th.

As for trip, not too fussed about doing a big sportive and the bunch speed control issue seems a bit counter intuitive to me, would be happy enough as Alan suggested as more along the lines of a relaxed training camp alternating between hitting the bar and hitting the hills.

Will see what the views are on the 14th.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Leige Bastogne Leige a possibility?

I would actually prefer Milan Sanremo but the amount of time spent in logistics, travelling etc would be a bit of a burden.

Advantages of Liege

Could go in cars or fly to Brussels

Start and Finish in same place

Iconic route of 270 km

Pro race the next day

Disadvantages

Weather could be crap

does not have the holiday feel

Also would be quite happy to go to Majorca and make up our own challenge - like 312km around the island etc!

just sayin like............

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !