2013 Trip

Guest EPCC

Have been speaking to a bike hotel on Lake Garda the start is an hour by car from Gada

For those staying for a few days it could be possible to be based at the lake then stay in Bergamo the night before loads of nice wee hills round the lakes

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2024 Subscriptions
Have been speaking to a bike hotel on Lake Garda the start is an hour by car from Gada

For those staying for a few days it could be possible to be based at the lake then stay in Bergamo the night before loads of nice wee hills round the lakes

Here is a list of hotels

http://www.felicegimondi.it/ospitalita/ ... berghi.htm

• 2024 Subscriptions

Here is a list of hotels

http://www.felicegimondi.it/ospitalita/ ... berghi.htm

this looks OK - right side of town for rides in the hills and from 35 Euro pppn

http://www.hotelsangiorgiobergamo.it/indexen.htm

Here it is on the map just paste the address in "HOTEL SAN GIORGIO Via San Giorgio, 10 - 24122 - Bergamo"

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps

Central location near to airport would reduce transfer cost and time. Also means we would not need to hire cars!

Please have a look at the list and see what you fancy.

Hello, beer !!

Not going to make it. My preference for Mallorca - not bothered about sportive. I seem to remember there was a lot of talk in Italy this year about just having a centre and doing our own rides. This year the event was at the end and most of us seemed keen to keep the powder dry and not ride too much before the event. If we are away for several days then we should ride as much, or as little, as we want I would have thought and not be worrying about a timed event on one day. Girona was great for that - not everyone rode every day and we had a split group on one day. There was also a real holiday feel too - different restaurant each night and some great bars.

We can ride for times at a sportive any weekend over here - I vote for a cycling holiday !

Enjoy. See you on Sunday.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Al Yuille wrote

Not going to make it. My preference for Mallorca - not bothered about sportive. I seem to remember there was a lot of talk in Italy this year about just having a centre and doing our own rides. This year the event was at the end and most of us seemed keen to keep the powder dry and not ride too much before the event. If we are away for several days then we should ride as much, or as little, as we want I would have thought and not be worrying about a timed event on one day. Girona was great for that - not everyone rode every day and we had a split group on one day. There was also a real holiday feel too - different restaurant each night and some great bars.

We can ride for times at a sportive any weekend over here - I vote for a cycling holiday !

Enjoy. See you on Sunday.

+ 1 Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

• Members

I wish I could join you all, but it's an early rise for work tomorrow. You'll be out past my bedtime.

LIke Al, I'm another one who could do without a sportive (in no small part because it always involves waking up in the middle of the night and I get enough of that here.) I'd rather go abroad earlier in the year, in March or April, to escape Scotland's weather. I don't care where we go, but I think it would make everything easier to head to a hotel that's geared up for cyclists. The closer the accommodation is to quiet roads the better (though I do have fond memories of Spain's industrial estates and Italy's dual carriageways.) :grin:

Have a nice night, folks.

Voting has closed.

The result is in favour of Majorca and not linked to any organised sportive.

So it is up to us what we want to do while there e.g some may like to tackle the full island circuit (312k).

As for date 'some time in mid-MAy' seemed to be the general view.

Duration was not really discussed but similar to Italy thsi year? Out on wednesday, back on Monday type of thing (depending, of course, on airline schedules)

SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE POST BY THE END OF SEPTEMBER AND INDICATE DATES AND DURATION SO WE CAN START TO LOOK AT FLIGHTS/HOTELS

I'm in Hello, beer !!

Dates would only be an issue if we there spanning 2 of work leave periods.

End of April or start of May sounds good.

My 40th on May 11th so Mrs C might want me home nearer the time.

As for the length of stay, I guess that depends on who we fly with and when they fly etc.

From reading previous posts, do we have enough Mallorca experience so that I don't have to research places to stay/where to ride etc?

Can my OCD side rest easy? :-?:grin:

My recollection is that we were talking of a 3 week window running across the last week in April and the first 2 weeks in May, with the exact dates TBC dependant on flights and hotel availability.

Also, there was talk of opening the trip up (not that it was ever designed to be exclusive to the main bunch) to all club members as it was a training camp week with a social twist and no formal sportive event. Shoot me down if I'm talking mince.

M

My recollection is that we were talking of a 3 week window running across the last week in April and the first 2 weeks in May, with the exact dates TBC dependant on flights and hotel availability.

Sounds good Marcos.

Being totally selfish about it, I think my annual leave period will start on Sat 27th Apr so anytime after that would be great :grin:

Being home alone tonight, I had a look at some flights.

Seems that from Glasgow we have Easyjet, Jet2, Thomson and Fly Thomas Cook with Ryanair from Prestwick and a quick look had the following flights.

Jet2

Flights from Glasgow on Thurs/Sat/Sun at 0700hrs and Mon at 1530hrs.

Flights from Palma on Thurs/Sat/Sun at 1200hrs and Mon at 2015hrs

Easyjet

Flights on Sat 27th Apr, Wed 1st May, Sat 4th May, Wed 8th May, Sat 11th May etc etc

Fly Thomas Cook

Flights from Glasgow Thurs 2nd May at 0600hrs, Sat 4th at 0600hrs, Tues 7th at 0700hrs, Thurs 9th at 0600hrs.

Flights from Palma Sat 4th May at 1055hrs, Tues 7th at 1200hrs, Thurs 9th at 1055hrs, Sat 11th at 1055hrs.

Thomson

Doing a search here only seemed to come up with xxx amounts of nights with the least being 6 nights between Sat 27th Apr to Fri 3rd May.

Ryanair

Seem to have flights on Mon/Wed/Thurs/Fri and Sat

So....my OCD has kicked in! Can't help myself. It kills me that there's so long to wait!!! :roll::grin:

Adios

Richie

What's the cheapest for 6 nights plus bike

Chung has a great idea :grin: but...on closer inspection today and on the PC rather than my phone, Thomson fly on Tues/Thurs and Sat.

Here are some examples: - prices for flights only

Tues Apr 30th Gla - 0640 Maj - 1035

Sat May 4th Maj - 1110 Gla - 1305

4 nights - £195.98

Thurs May 2nd Gla - 0630 Maj - 1025

Tues May 7th Maj - 1315 Gla - 1510

5 nights - £263.98

Thurs May 2nd Gla - 0630 Maj - 1025

Thurs May 9th Maj - 1130 Gla - 1325

7 nights - £244.98

Tues Apr 30th Gla - 0640 Maj - 1035

Sat May 4th Maj - 1110 Gla - 1305

4 nights - £195.98

Sat May 4th Gla - 1430 Maj - 1825

Thurs May 9th Maj - 1130 - Gla 1325

5 nights - £218.98

So, quite a good few variables there of 4, 5 or 7 nights.

To take the bike you would have to add excess luggage up to 25kg for £58 but that's just to cover the weight of the 'luggage'. It would then be another £30 return because this luggage is a bike.

Richie

Prices seem high is this school holiday time or something

Jeez....lucky I don't have anything better to do on my annual leave :roll::smash

Some more examples just for you Billy :grin:

Jet2

From Gla - each way prices From Maj

Sun Apr 28 - £31.99 Thurs May 2nd - £53.99

Mon 29th - £76.99 Sat 4th - £53.99

Thurs May 2nd - £111.99 Sun 5th - £67.99

Sat 4th - £106.99 Mon 6th - £89.99

Sun 5th - £100.99 Thurs 9th - £50.99

Mon 6th - £95.99

I did an example booking of Sun 28th Apr til Sat 4th May

With 1 x 22kg bag and £25 for sports equipment up to 20kg it would be a total of £130.96

Depends if you pick the days of travel just on the cheapest prices rather than what days suit.

Looked at Easyjet who only do Wed and Sat....not sure if I'd get away for that long....and an example was

Wed 1st May - £80.99 til Wed 8th - £55.99

Bike is £25 per flight and with taxes, a total of £195.98.

Next!! :grin: