Ronde Van Vlaanderen - Pics and tales

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hello all Flandarians

On he journey home Alan recommended I contact diabetes UK about my achievement of completing the Ronde as a type 1 diabetic. I gave it some consideration and decided, nothing ventured, nothing gained. So I swiftly emailed them Monday evening. I have since received a reply. They replied asking if I have any pictures and if I would write out a few paragraphs and they will see what they can do about getting it in future publications. I was wondering if the 14 others are happy for me to send pictures of us all?

ALSO.....he notified me about some future events like Bike n hike 2011. I am unsure exactely what this is, but I received a second email about it asking if we could gather some fellow cyclist to make it bigger and better with more publicity? I will post the email below, and would ask anyone interested to get in contact with me and I will then get in contact with them. I'm certainly happy to along and support.

Hi Greg,

I hope you don’t mind me contacting you, thank you for getting in touch with us about your cycling. Stephen mentioned to you on the email about our Bike and Hike event on 18 June, we’re looking to make this years event even bigger and better than last years and are hoping you can maybe help!

We’d be keen to get a press release out in the next few weeks around the event, preferably with a picture taken in Glasgow with you and other sportspeople on bikes in Kelvingrove Park or a local landmark? Please let me know if you’ll be able to take part in this as we’d love to have your support and raise more money for the Children’s support holidays this year.

If you have an questions or would like to discuss what would be involved please don’t hesitate to contact me or our press person Stephen on the number below.

Many thanks,

Jenny

Jennifer Rutherford

National Fundraising Administrator

Diabetes UK Scotland

Greg

Fabulous Flanderian Fourteen - hat doffed to one and all. Sounds like the weekend was an adventure of epic proportions and that you have done yourselves and the club proud. Well done!

I'm sure there are one or two others like me who have read throught this thread turning green with jealousy. Early doors perhaps to think about next year, but 20 in the blue and yellow of the Joansin heading overseas would seem a fair target.

Cheers

Mark

• 2023 Subscriptions

And I meant to ask...did everyone ride on their usual bikes/wheels or were any stronger/stiffer

purchases made for the event?

Been waiting for some of the more sensitive souls in the bunch to reply to your post, Richie, to confess all :twisted leer but most of us just went with the bike 'as is'.

Most important thing is to tighten all the bolts to stop things being rattled off the bike. Never seen so many bidons and cages lying at the side of the road.

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

Didn't change a single thing on my bike - I had bought 25mm tyres but they did not fit in my frame!

Did check everything out thoroughly.

My advice would be anything you do change then ride it at least 3-4 times beforehand.

Oh ya dancer !