Ronde Van Vlaanderen - Pics and tales

I would just like to say thanks to Davie for suggesting this foray into Johnny Foreigner's back yard to show them how its done. We left them with a bloodied nose.

15 of us! A sight to behold. What an adventure, I had a great laugh, and feel better for it so cheers. Martins local knowledge meant it was alot easier to get around and to see the pro's doing their thing.

Hers a link to my Garmin ; http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77220544

Also, some pic's of the day from Sunday and on the Koppenberg watching the pros make it look easy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Subscriptions

Can i just add to that and say a gigantic THANK YOU to the club and the flanders 15, it was a truly awesome birthday and day in general! it was most painful at times but as kenny said i feel much better for doing it! :grin: Amazing!!

Greg

p.s ill try fathom out how to get my video of the pros on the koppenburg on to the comp for all to view.

• Members

We were talking about our Flanders best bits on the way home today. I took ages to make up my mind before finally settling on this. No photos so I'll try and paint a picture as best I can. You'll need to use your imagination here.

At the top of the Kruisberg - the fifth climb - the cobbles turn to tarmac and the road winds its way out of the trees which stand on either side. If you had been there on your bike next to me, when you got out of the shadows you would have seen a perfect spring day topped off with a blue sky, fields on either side, bright green in the sunshine, and what must have been one hundred cyclists, two abreast and strung out in a long line. The head of the bunch was disappearing uphill into trees again. All the way through the group there was a broken streak of blue and yellow: about ten riders in Johnstone colours; some soloists, some in twos or threes; side by side or wheel to wheel.

I've never seen us out in force like that before, all in the same kit and spread through a mixed field of other riders. It was great to be part of it and that will be my abiding memory of the trip.

Here's to the next one!

Johnstone Wheeler rider is currently on the home page of the RVV site! Think it is James!

http://sport.be.msn.com/cyclingtour/ron ... /2011/eng/

I can't get the video link to work at the moment though!

Yes that's me probably best that video link not working at least a still pic doesn't show how slow or scared i was.

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

Found the right link to the video clips. Thanks to Jann for taking a picture of my race number (23704), otherwise it would have been difficult to find my videos. Didn't record some of the places there were cameras.

http://mysports.tv/events/RV11/results.asp

From the videos it looks like I was on Paul's wheels for most of it!

I've had a quick look and other JWCC have better videos (i.e. -they have been recorded at more locations).

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great trip

the adrenaline was high and we all set off at breakneck speed from Brugges to the first pit stop. With the exception of James ( I want to be alone-Inverclyde velo) Watson and Jim ( can I do this in a 39 x 12 )Daley we all regrouped and set off as a bunch for the rest of the sportive, Tom ( this ain't long enough ) Hill decided that it would be tougher to do the Koppenburg twice and then an extra loop. Can not wait to see route he took. Billy ( I got held up at the lights ) MacDonald was unfortunate enough to see my rear the whole way round so Willie Cosh gie us your dough. Davie ( I love cobbles) Bowman Al ( do you think this hill is too steep )Yuille Richard ( I want to be alone )Montague Kenny ( I also want to be alone )Christie Darryl ( my legs are shredded) Gunson Greg ( if you sing happy birthday one more time I will hit you ) Balden and Alan ( I hate cobbles ) Mclean were all stalwarts in the bunch. Ramsay ( I am really a racer ) Muirhead and Paul ( hey who won the sprint ) Mcdonald were just fantastic with their encouragement and good humour. Last but not least Martin ( I am the one and only true Flandrian ) Mulholland clearly has found his cycling mecca and unfortunately for me his was the arse ahead of mine.A special mention to Jan for being our official photographer.Agree with Richard. the Wheelers did themselves proud and looked great. Paul and Tom are front runners for the Hammock award this year. Lombardy is my preference for next one.

ps Colin all the boys will confirm that I beat the 10 hour mark

Looks and sounds an epic adventure! Very well done to each and every one of you!

What about Mr. B? Greg seems to be making a bit of a habit of birthday cycling capers. Can't imagine what he has planned for his 21st - cycling backwards up K2 on a unicycle perhaps?

Iain & Mary

Firstly a big thank you to all true Flandarians, an absolutely brilliant trip, best bit beer and hot dog at the end, best cycling bit the decent from the bossberg to the finish it was a fab mouth open hands on drops wheel hanging ride. Would i do it again on Saturday night no Sunday night maybe Today yes probably but after the Tour of Lombardy.

The worst bit is the race video because every clip you see Charlie then after a small pause me what a bummer :icon_mooning

• 2023 Subscriptions

The most painful, fantastic, awful and exhilarating experience I have ever had on a bike. The cobbles hmmmmn ..........think of quarry floors between parallel lines. Bone jarring, tendon tearing on the flats. Brake levers vibrating like a humbing bird's wings on the descent; both mind numbingly terrifying and turbo charged, adrenaline fuelled ecstasy at the same time, especially with a sharp left hander at the bottom.

The highlight for me was leaving the third feed stop about 100 miles or so into the ride; thirteen strong, the Yellow and Blue train, flying down the road, whizzing past everyone. It was truly a sight to behold. I am proud to call myself a Johnstone Wheeler!

The bummer.

Wrong turning at Zegelsem on the second visit to that junction, following several other riders, I could see others on the main road coming back! must be a loop. I followed the guy in front who got further ahead through Luepegen, Melden and halfway to Kluisberg. Eventually in the dark recesses, it occurred to my exhausted brain that something wasn't quite right. So I headed back along the main drag and at Melden asked a kindly, grass cutting native if this was the route for the Tour of Flanders. "Oh .... take the second turning on the right" said he.

Off I went with renewed vigour. Only at the top of the Koppenberg, for the second time, when I saw some plain trees in a field on the left, did I think "I have been here before!"

In preference for death by exhaustion to killing myself quickly, by descending the Koppenberg, I continued on the long descent down to the main drag. With the time now approaching 5:30pm my options at this point were

1. Repeat the loop climbing hills 10 to 14 all over again.

2. With fading light search out the sat nav and ride back to Ninove.

Option 2, seemed like the sane option, out came the trusty iphone. 36km (20miles) to Ninove. Having cycled something close to an extra 18 miles I found that I was only 1 mile closer to Ninove and the end of the Tour than I was had I followed the correct route!

Notwithstanding an altercation with two of Belgium's finest who eventually relented and agreed that I could cycle on, providing I put my rear light on and did not deviate from the cycle lanes, I reached the N8 and headed to Ninove. Eventually, at something like 8:15pm I arrived back at the car park where I was met by Mr MacLean. Not wanting to miss out on my "freeby" tee shirt I cycled the extra 400 yards there and back to hand in my number.

So 280+ km, the Koppenberg twice and technically I did not finish!! :angryfire

Stoooopid!

Thanks to everyone for organising such a fantastic, memorable weekend.

In the words of Mul - C'moan the Joansin!!

Tom

Ditto to all the previous posts, a great trip and it's amazing how the pain of the flat sections of cobbles seem to have eased slightly in my memory.

Hard to pick any 1 point as a highlight as can't think of any low one's. Great team spirit shown at many times helping with mechanicals, transport home from finish, making sure last car back getting fed at hotel etc, etc.

Thanks to all those involved in booking ferry, hotels, taking cars, driving us there and around over the weekend.

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

Fellow fearless Flandrians

After 2 decades of spinning pedals, Saturday was one of the best days I have ever spent on a bike.

Amongst the many highlights, the outstanding one for me was seeing so many guys performing at a level they probably didn't think possible just 6 or 7 months ago. To a man the climbs were all ticked off with no walking - fantastic.

Riding the Ronde in dry, 18 degrees weather - then same again at Koppenberg the next day watching the pro's - does it get any better ?

Great trip - great to get so many laughs.

Oh ya dancer !

To a man the climbs were all ticked off with no walking - fantastic.

This bit may not be entirely true. ;-)

Ssssshhh Richard we almost got away with it.....yes certain individuals did indeed bring shame onto the mighty Joansin. Extremely miffed as not a lack of power on my part but poor road positioning and riding like the Pussycat (as opposed to the Lion) of Flanders at that particular moment (sad)....Billy just blames the fat foreigners :-P

Highlights for me:

>Bouncing along Huisepontweg, Doorn and Paddestraat with a big grin on my face – felt like being a kid again;

>Seeing how fresh I was after the unchartered territory of riding 150 mile plus (a big surprise);

>Getting a real perspective on the parcour and the speed, skill and bravery the pros have to use to ride it at breakneck speed;

>Koppenberg on the Sunday..... Hello, beer !!

Lowlights:

>The aforementioned walk (no matter how short) – I plan to come back to complete the mission!

>Catching whatever was plaguing some of the group on the ferry back ...feel like I have swallowed razor blades!

(An authentic) Paris-Roubaix sportive looks like it is not going to happen as ASO have been left with egg on their faces this year. So Tour of Lombardy / LBL may be better next targets. Would throw in Amstel Gold as a possibility near as dammit a monument, you DO ride the pros course in it’s entirity, cycling mad natives, beer, beer and more beer together with other more exotic local delights for those wishing to partake – what more could you ask for!!

D

Just to put the record straight yes i put one foot on the pave on a hill, however i never walked up any and yes it was due to a larger person falling off his bike, after some paisley terms of endearment and some amusment for the crowd as they watch with great amusment a cursing scot trying to remount his bike some lovely flandarians jumped over and gave me a push to get cliped in. As you can see from my photos on the climbs i am on my bike 23707

• 2023 Subscriptions

Enough of this gushing enthusiasm. It was very poor: too hot, no rain, no sleet, and no mud. Seen worse on a Kenny Mac 'farmwatch' mystery tour. Hardly worth the trip.

:smash:smash:smash:smash:smash:smash:smash:smash:smash:smash

Although teaching the Belgian people to shout "mon the joansin" was some consolation. :grin: Learning that the vlaamse word for onions is 'ingins' was music to a Dundonian's ears, as was finding out that they call cobbles 'kaissies'. Although Dundee folk call them 'cassies' it shows Flanders is a civilised place really.

PS found an extra ss jersey in my kit bag when I got home. some scuff marks to one shoulder, any claimant?

• Members

Any more photos, folks? We've not seen the feed stops yet, or Friday's Kapelmuur recon. I can't be bothered with the fuss of taking pics when I'm out on the bike, but I do like looking at them. :oops: These pro shots of the route have been tiding me over today. Worth a look.

http://www.steephill.tv/2011/tour-of-flanders/photos/page-01/