On the Move

Frank

Guys,

As some of you know, I'm off to work abroad for the next few years and will be based in Dubai from next week. So, it looks like the end of the bunch runs and confineds for me for the foreseeable future.

I'd just like to thank everyone for the encouragement and help that I've received in the time that I've been a member of the club. I'll be following your exploits on the forum and look forward to reading about the many future successes that I'm sure will come.

Thanks guys.

Frank

Guest Jim Daly

Bon voyage, Frank!

Although you already know your way around, below is a pm I sent to Ken Mac, based on advice from an expat:

"There's a couple of runs by road racers from the same club. Can't remember the name.

Tell him to get copy of "Time Out" in Dubai. Out weekly. But every week they have the same details re the 2 club runs. Details near back in "Cycling" section, funnily enough.

Meet at a place called "Lime Tree Cafe" on the Jumeirah Beach Road at 5-530am (due to heat later on) at weekend then go out into area around Nad Al Sheba, not quite out into desert. 2 runs available, short (which IS short), and long (which is decent length).

Travel as a bunch on these runs.

I definitely DON'T recommend he goes out by himself in Dubai. Turbo trainer is in order during the week. Can buy one out there. "Wolfie's" bike shopp on Sheikh Zayed Road appears to be good enough shop.

Traffic and drivers don't know what cyclists are and won't give you an inch. Too man car crashes, never mind cyclists.

Genuinely don't think out there about / realise there are cyclists - that's the truth, not some 'greenie' rant.

Believe they may go on organised runs in cars with bikes in back out to other places and start their runs from there.

Seen them a couple of times and a couple seemed to have decent bikes (proper Colnago, Gios etc, as in my day) but rest had American/ Far East bikes.

However, the only bikes for sale (and hence maintenance) are those American & Far East racing bikes."

• 2023 Subscriptions

Nice of you to give us a kicking on the hillls on Thursday just before heading off, you'll be missed mate........ If you're looking for anyone to give some TLC to any of your bikes while you're away, you can always drop me a PM..... Hope all goes well mate...

Cheers Ian..... ;-)

Frank

Best of luck enjoy sunny Dubai, I am sure your white look will fit in, but if you need somebody to look after your tt bike i am your man.

On a more serious note your advice and chat will be missed

All the best

Billy

Frank,

If you read what Jim Daly sent me (above) when I went to Dubai in Feb 2008, and take note of the comments, especially about NOT riding on your own, but that will become very obvious when you get there.

There is info in 'Time Out' magazine, but it assumes that you already know the scene, and often it's just a repeat of a previous item.

I suggest you visit Wolfis bike shop, http://www.dubairoadsters.com/ there will be a name on the web site you can call to get started with them. A Camelbak is a MUST!!! Most of the Dubai Roadsters are serious riders.

I knew I was going to move to Abu Dhabi soon after I arrived in Dubai (was in Dubai for 4 months only), but one of my work colleagues was in the Roadsters, and I learned from him that the whole operation is very slick, which it has to be, given the riding conditions.

I didn't get into the Roadsters when in Dubai due to work/time constraints, but I think you will enjoy it, if you plan to ride there. Abu Dhabi didn't have the same type of club that I could find, so I was limited to cycling up and down the Abu Dhabi Corniche cycle track.

The nature of life in Dubai means that membership changes frequently, so I dont have any names of people that are still there, but if you call one of the contacts on their website, or visit Wolfis, then that will be a good start.

The weather is hotting up nicely for cycling, around 40 deg C at the moment!!!

Enjoy Dubai, if there is anything you want to ask, (non cycling), not sure if you've been out there before, then PM me. Although most of my time was spent in Abu Dhabi, and then Doha Qatar, I do have some useful tips for Dubai if you need them.

Regards

Ken

Frank,

All the best with your move.

I will now struggle for motivation whilst TT'ing. Rumours that I have been heard to mutter "must beat Frank.......must beat Frank" whilst flat out may be founded in some truth!!!!!! ;-)

Wil miss our early season weekend leg mashing runs as well,

Take care.

Colin Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Frank,

As everyone else has said, have a great time.

Looking forward to seeing you out if you are back for a visit etc.. and of course when you get back for good.

Cheers,

Ramsay