Bealach na Bà 2016 - July 30th

PaulL

• 2023 Subscriptions
A few of us have been talking about taking a trip up North to climb Bealach na Bà(UK's longest road climb) http://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/bealach-na-ba/ and decided to go on Saturday 30th of July. I have mentioned it to a few Wheelers while out on runs and there is alot of interest in coming along. Everyone is more than welcome to join us! 30 milers/Medium/Bunch as there are different routes we can take(but all would include at least one ascent of Bealach na Bà) The climb is 9.1km Avg Grade 7% Elvation 626m.It is a stunning climb and a beautiful part of the world, a must ride before your time on this rock is complete. 

Our itinerary is as follow. 

Leave Saturday 30th of July  5-6am with 4-5 hour drive (car share) to Applecross campsite

Applecross campsite £55-65 for 3-4 Adults sharing - Heated Cabin 

Book here - http://applecross.uk.com/campsite/ lots left book asap

Quick Bite - i.e bacon rolls and get bikes ready.

Start run in Applecross est 11am

4 routes (The routes suggested are open to change if anyone has a better or more interesting ideas). We can plan on Coffee stops one we have numbers and routes decided, not the best place once you leave Applecross to find a cake. Pretty barren/beautiful but the food in Applecross is excellent!

I plan to do the Long Loop with the one Ascent, but the Triple Ascent is interesting as shorter similar climbing and you get to climb/descent West to East something I haven't done yet.

30 Milers suggested route

Bealach na Bà One Ascent 

Distance - 68.5km

Elevation Gain - 1,389m

Est. Moving Time 3:30

Intermediates or Members wanting to Climb Bealach na Bà from both sides

Bealach na Bà Two Ascents

Distance 85.8km

Elevation Gain 1,996m

Est. Moving Time 4:30

Fast Bunch Long loop one Climb Bealach na Bà

Bealach na Bà Two Ascents

Distance 143.6km

Elevation Gain 2,180m

Est. Moving Time 5:30

There is also an option to do the climb three times at the end that way you get to experience the westerly and easterly climbs and descents. 

Triple Climb of Bealach na Bà

Bealach na Bà Triple Ascent

Distance 105.8km

Elevation Gain 2,633m

Est. Moving Time 5:00

Created on April 12, 2016

Dinner/Night out in Applecross Inn(5mins from campsite) or if weather is good Barbecue on Campsite

Return home Sunday morning, home for late afternoon 

Hopefully you can make it for what I think is one of the finest road climbs in the world!

Cheers

Paul

(book a cabin asap if staying they are heated and will fit 4 people)

• Life Members

Paul, that is a great idea!

With different options too, fantastic!

I cannot confirm as yet since I might be on a family holiday at the time :-( But I'll keep a close eye on this.

I remembered fondly when we did the sportive way back in 2006 & 7, Darrly & the late Jim Daly was there too & did it as a club, it was a great with stunning scenery & roads!

But what really put the fear in me wasn't so much the climbs but those pesky midgies ..................... aaaaah ........... I still have nightmares even today  :angryfire

Like you said Paul - it's a must ride for cycling in Scotland  Ohyadancer!

Cheers

Chung

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Paul do we have confirmed numbers yet, as my mate wants to do this as well. Just want to know numbers then we can book cabins to match our nunbers. Let me know as happy to book a second cabin

Hi Iain,

best to book another cabin as We will have the numbers to fill 2.

• 1 month later...