A non DA post

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

A letter from Arran

Sitting in cafe at Brodick Ferry terminal waiting for the real cyclists to return.

Arran is looking beautiful. Snow capped hills and sunshine.

As for SA I had a mare. Gave up ghost on pirnmill road and did remaining 26 miles solo. Was broken man when got n to Brodick. Left calf and lower back aching so Billy taking a time out on gym.

On plus side waved bye to other guys as they headed for Ross Hill. I sauntered up the String road went to viewpoint took a couple of pics then fell asleep with sun pouring all over me. What a boast.

God bless my bike for the di2 gave in as I hit Brodick. Think it was coming out in sympathy.

Big thanks to Al for helping me up climbs and to guys for trying to keep me in bunch

happy birthday to Capt Paul McDonald. You got a fracker

Ps did I mention that I saw Andy Gumley on Ardossan Quay as our boat was pulling out. Early entry for Hamoc me thinks

• 2023 Subscriptions

A letter from Arran

Sitting in cafe at Brodick Ferry terminal waiting for the real cyclists to return.

Arran is looking beautiful. Snow capped hills and sunshine.

As for SA I had a mare. Gave up ghost on pirnmill road and did remaining 26 miles solo. Was broken man when got n to Brodick. Left calf and lower back aching so Billy taking a time out on gym.

On plus side waved bye to other guys as they headed for Ross Hill. I sauntered up the String road went to viewpoint took a couple of pics then fell asleep with sun pouring all over me. What a boast.

God bless my bike for the di2 gave in as I hit Brodick. Think it was coming out in sympathy.

Big thanks to Al for helping me up climbs and to guys for trying to keep me in bunch

happy birthday to Capt Paul McDonald. You got a fracker

Ps did I mention that I saw Andy Gumley on Ardossan Quay as our boat was pulling out. Early entry for Hamoc me thinks

I don't think I topped Colin. Mind you we could possible establish a missing the Arran Ferry award! Glad your gears got you back to Brodick!!

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great day out as Arran always is.

Lots of highlights but particularly memorable was a young girl about 10 years old and her brother a couple of years older who overtook us on e-mountain bikes about 4 miles out of Brodick, we ended up jumping on their wheel and getting a tow at 25 mph all the while struggling to hold their wheels - must have looked comical to the cyclists going in the other direction as the battery pack wasnt particularly obvious at a quick glance!

12912774_214760065580535_1745355624_n.jp

I thought black was sliming!

Cracking day out on the fair isle!

Straight off the ferry, turn left and start climbing! After the shock to the system start, we got onto the coast road and boarded the Mcbride express. Alan had huge spells on the front which Alex decided to sprint away from when it was his turn!

About half way round a Joansin Jet was standing roadside cheering us on!

6 miles from the end Paul enjoyed a birthday blow....... out! Alan waited and Alex, Colin and Jan cracked on! I popped after another 2 mile, I looked up and couldn't catch up a family of four up the road on mountain bikes, I was sitting at 21mph!! later found out why!

Alan pulled Paul back very quickly and then started shouting at the Ferry steward "can we get on the ferry!!!!" The guy said "yes" which Alan replied "its ok we don't want to just now"

A quick café stop that didn't serve hot food apart from all the hot food that was passing our table! All Alex wanted was toast!

We then headed up the Ross climb , for fun Ohyadancer! After that Colin and I stopped again for "hot" food and the rest put some training in for Spain and headed up the String.

Back on the Ferry, nearly without Paul and Charlie, who lost their tickets!

We enjoyed some grub and a birthday cake for Paul!

post-4066-0-32293700-1460230630_thumb.jpeg

post-4066-0-45884800-1460230730_thumb.jpeg

Great day highlight for me was the descent on the other side of the Lochranza climb hitting 52 mph in the way down ! Big Alan fairly hauled us round and my paltry efforts on the front on the rear of the island were fairly eclipsed by the power he was putting out. Legs were complaining after the climb up to the Ross and back to Brodick so decided an ice coffee was in order. Made the ferry I better time than the last outing so pleased with that and 7th overall on strava behind a certain George Donnelly

Great day in stunning Arran. Too knackered to even think what happened. 1800m of climbing, 52mph top speed, 76 miles. Just another epic day with the Joansin. Thanks to all, especially the birthday boy, Paul!

Paul, hopefully you last better tonight than I did. 10 mins after getting home showered and changed and out for dinner, followed by a nap in the cinema...

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well guys a massive thank you! After 6 hours of partying which started 45 mins after I got home I just could not go to bed without saying thanks. If Carlsberg did birthdays......

Arran at its very best and team JWCC did it again. What a team,

Charlie the gent who collected me from house

Andy who gave us a laugh by living closest to ferry and missing it

Jan for his quiet leadership which got us up the Ross and String when we were all ready to succumb to coffee and cakes

Alex for making it especially memorable by making it especially hard

J Esus for sorting out a magnificent cake with the immortal map of Arran and the DA highlighted

Colin for being a stalwart and just going about the business of SA challenge

And Alan, what can I say, monster on a bike, pushed Charlie on a lot of early hills, did the lions share of the work pulling massive spells and then waited for me when I punctured 6 miles out and literally led may all the way home to complete a memorable SA,

Magic day

:)

Glad you had a great day, well deserved captain ;) I also loved it (arran has that effect) I had planned on heading out today with the bunch but the SA took its toll and after paying for the boxing on sky I crashed out missing the lot and sleeping in for today's ride, god knows how we're going to do the challenge of all challenges 112 miles at 20mph avg DA. I look forward to trying it though :)