Paris Roubaix Challenge 166k 12 April

Guest EPCC

• Members

As a pave victim - working on the assumption that the Roubaix cobbles are more uneven than their counterparts in Flanders - I would double-tape bars in the centre; wear new mitts; and make sure that bottles fit tightly into cages. I'd do it on the alloy winter bike, with the muddies off. Might fit 25s. I definitely wouldn't risk good wheels.

• Life Members

The following are extracts of what I've been offered as advice from BikeRadar forum, just thought I'll share it if fellow PRers fancy to read it:

Paris Roubaix 12 04 2014

The Paris-Roubaix cobbles require a lot of technique... you can wrap gel in the bars, use bigger tyres and all of that, but ultimately if you don't know how to ride them, it's all in vain. You have to work on your position on the bike, so that you don't put too much weight on the bars. NEVER ride with your hands on the hoods, either the top of the bars or the drops are the correct position. Don't grab the bars tight or you won't be able to un-clench your hands after a section (yes, they are that bad). Train yourself to keep a solid power output for 10 minutes or so. Most pave' last about 5-10 minutes. If you have a 39, stay on the small ring and only shift the rear to find your cadence. if you have a compact, stay on the big ring, except Mons En Pevele and Arenberg, which are too hard for the big ring.

On a dry day you can use the gutter a lot and maybe your carbon wheels are not out of place. On a wet day or after a spell of heavy rain you can't use the gutter, you only have one line and if the road is busy with inexperienced riders, accidents are very likely. Then you don't want expensive carbon wheels or frame.

Have a look, this is a dry day of course and they are the best pave' riders the world has ever seen 

All good advice, but I would add how important speed over the pavé is. It's surprising how much smoother if feels if you can maintain your speed. I've always plodded along on the tarmac sections (maybe sat on a few wheels) and then ridden the pavé as fast as I can. And yes, I know that's difficult when your getting towards the end and your tired, but it does make a difference.

Oh and watch out for the Camphin-en-Pévèle and Carrefour de l’Arbre sections, along with Mons-en-Pévèle and Arenberg as mentioned, all very difficult sections!

by Monty Dog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:57 pm

As Ugo pointed out, riding the pave is more about technique - there's very little ascent/descent so weightweenie-ness isn't going to deliver much benefit. Vittoria Paves and their like are fine, there are few 'sharps' IME so it's more about tyre volume and cush. At 64kg, you're the same weight as me and you can run tubs safely at 55/60psi. I disagree about riding on the small chainring through Arenberg, Mons en Pevele and Carrefour - launching yourself into the 'trench' at 50kph is a fantastic experience and you really feel what it's like for the pros. Build-up your leg strength by riding on the big-ring - quad power is where it is at - seated climbing drills are good but it does require good core strength. Fitting a shorter stem and pushing the saddle back on the rails helps to get your weight back helps - the bigger the gear you can turn means that your backside is literally hovering over the saddle and your legs act as suspension - if you try and sit down and relax you will simply get battered and bounced all over the place, making it difficult to hold your line. Following someone who knows the course is good too - some sectors it's about staying on the 'crown' e.g. Arenberg, whereas with others, you'll often track between the gutter, crown and back again.

Monty Dog wrote:

I disagree about riding on the small chainring through Arenberg, Mons en Pevele and Carrefour - launching yourself into the 'trench' at 50kph is a fantastic experience and you really feel what it's like for the pros.

Yeah, that was my mistake... launching myself into Arenberg at 40 Kph and then slowly sinking into a 13 Kph slog on the big ring... IMO opinion if you can't keep the speed high, it's best to be already in the small ring as changing ring on the cobbles is an almost sure mishap. A 39 x 14 develops quite some speed

Other secteurs are faster and you can realistically keep 30 Kph for 2-3 Km, occasionally a tad more, which means you really glide on the stones... it's really hard work and you get to the end of the sector shattered

Hope that helps if not frightened the bee-Jesus out of you!

Cheers

Chung

Look guys

Pave will just be like riding here think of it as riding over pot holes

Anyway the football should be good and yes it's a local derby if we have stopped shaking by then it might even be enjoyable

• Life Members

Billy & all,

I really want to ride on the Pave on the Friday after checking into the hotel, to see how it is since I've never rode on them before. I just need to get the feel for it before I actually ride it for "real" the next day.

What do you say we try and recky a few sectors before hand?

Cheers

Chung

• 3 weeks later...

This is a floater as I have not made any decision yet.

In the event that I could find a way to get over to the hotel for the event is there any space in any of the cars to take my bike?

I was scarred for life by the last ferry ride to Flanders and I would probably take the rest of the year to recover from a PMcD Eurostar route March - need to be fresh for Arran after all - so just a question which may affect possible travel plans.

I won't be offended if the response is "go and get stuffed" as there has been ample time to get on board sooner.

Cheers,

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys

I leave for France this Saturday coming. Can I drop my bike off with someone?

Couts, do you have space for a 5th or will the bike be broken down?

Also if any roof bars, fork mounted or conventional and/or 3-bike tow bar carrier are required, please advise ASAP.

Guys

Weather forecast is 14 sunny with a 20% chance of showers Sunday is much the same

What's the plans for Thursday Iain who else apart fro you me and Al is in your car and where are we picking him up

Seven sleeps to go

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sorry Billy for the post bump: Food!

What's the plans for eating on the continent? Breakfast? Are we too early to eat in the hotel? If so, that's fine, ill pack a bowl and will make a Lidl trip for my favourite cereal and milk to power me.

Also what's the timings for saturday morning, with regards to waking, getting to the bus, length of time on the bus then start ride time. I only ask with regards to the vision of setting up my blood sugars for the day, and mixing the activity parts and inactivity.

The during the ride is fine, got isotonic and bars etc etc.

Then dinner, on the day. Eat in hotel or a stroll to the town? (That's me just being a greedy food shoveller :D)

....And over to you Billy!