Paris Roubaix Challenge 166k 12 April

Guest EPCC

Grieg

We will need to decide how to get there either Dover or Hull / Newcastle 3:4 in a car should keep travel down

Staying in Lille is near the end of the run we need to get to the start there is a shuttle bus from Roubaix at 30 euros

Some info on travel options.

Flights don't seem to work as the Paris airports are 150km south of the start at Busigny, Brussels Charleroi is 125km west of Lille, I can't see any flights from UK into Lille and costs are around £200 once you include bikes. You can Train it from Glasgow to London to Lille in 1 day but the cost looks like about £245 return per person.

The best Ferry options look like Hull to Zeebrugge or Newcastle to Amsterdam. Dover is along way from Johnstone.

HULL - ZEEBRUGGE

Out 18.30 Thur 10th April arrive 08.45

Back 19.00 Mon 14th arrive 08.30

Cost £250 for a car and cabin with 4 bunks.

Around 640 miles of driving, petrol cost around £100.

Total £350 = £88 per person for 4.

Total cost is not much less for 3 people, so £116 per person for 3 per car

NEWCASTLE - AMSTERDAM

Out 17.00 Thur 10th April arrive 09.30

Back 7.30 Mon 14th arrive 09.00

Cost £388 for a car and cabin with 4 bunks.

Around 660 miles of driving, petrol cost c£100

Total £488 = £122 per person for 4 or £163 for 3 per car.

I'm not familiar with either of these ferries. Anyone with first hand experience or a way to get better costs?

Looks like a ballpark 200 notes for the weekend logistics, excluding hydration and food. Seems reasonable.

I've already said I'm happy to take my car across, assuming I get the necessary company clearance. Should anyone want to share the driving, my understanding it £10 to get you on the company insurance policy. MacB mentioned hiring a van to transport the bikes which would seem a sensible suggestion.

I count 6 thus far. 4 very comfortably in a car with 2 in the van. Room perhaps for 2 more before we need to start thinking about a 3rd vehicle.

• 2023 Subscriptions

My car has been on the hull ferry several times and will be happy to go back for another classic. 5 hours from Renfewshire to Hull, give or take.

Like Mark it would cost a tenner or so for addtional drivers (think Billy copped out the last time so he's due a turn). Are you sure we need to hire a van? Costly in diesel and on ferry costs, plus slower on the road. I've got room for 4 bikes on the roof.

• 2023 Subscriptions

A quick look at Google maps shows, Zeebrugge to Lille as 54 miles, this being the cheaper ferry would this be best option?

Amsterdam to Lille is 177 miles.

The difference between Newcastle and hull is 143 miles. Slightly more total mileage, but probably less time on the other side?

Just some food for thought thinking out loud! (assuming my hasty calculations are correct,....not often)

Defo 8 booked Grieg nearly booked

Tom might be travelling from France to Lille need that confirmed but that would leave two cars of 4 keeps the cost down

I think we should book shuttle bus fro Roubaix to start that leaves cars at finish

I have booked a room for me and mark and Coutie and his friend at the Ibis Gare Lille if others want to pair up and book

I've booked a room at Ibis Lille Centre Gares for Tom & myself for 3 nights from Fri 11th.

Hull Zeebrugge overnight Thursday to Friday looks ideal.

I too am happy to take a car. I think I could take 3 people and 3 bikes or 2 people and 4 bikes or 6 people and 0 bikes.

I've booked onto the shuttle bus from Roubaix to the start on Saturday morning. Its an early start at 05.30 but it saves having cars in the wrong place.

Guys

Those that havent and are in the Group book a shuttle bus transfer from roubaix to start 30 euros and i will pay by card 60 euros are aprox £52

I am ok with driving somebody else's car including Muls

But in my defence i was omitted from the insurance by the said Mulholand