BIG COAST 18/12/2011

Guest George

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, Our posts crossed.

I will still cycle to the club either along Bridesmaill road or A737.

I will have to walk the first 200 m from my house to get to a clear road.

I don't think half an hour is going to make much difference to the roads.

Mains roads are ok.

Ok, 09.00 it remains. Mains roads passable with care. Getting to Largs not a problem, ditto run down to the 3 Towns. Road through Kilwinning will be fine and I'd suggest from there to Dalry and Kilbirnie will also be fine by the middle of the day. I'd reckon road out of Kilwinning to Lochlibo Road (Irvine - Barrhead) will be fine. Have my doubts getting back over to Howwood. Could consider getting to Lugton then inland to Gateside and Beith then A737 to Johnstone. Can sort out finer points at the BB.

Paul will meet you in the morning as discussed. Gorgeous, hope your dignity is restored by the morning. Be safe out there in the morning guys.

M

• Committee

Ride safe and watch out for black ice.

I had a beautiful ride on the red run in 12 inches of fresh snow in Glentress today. Pines were laden with snow.

Going out again tomorrow but on MTB locally. Back roads are definitely NOT treated around here and can't safely get to the coast!

Alan

Did you get out ?

I managed 90 minutes on a gym bike before I fell of with bordem still it could be worse I might have 6 sets of squats, calf raises, leg press leg extensions,Hammstring curls sit UPS crunches back extensions bicept curls bent over rowing bench press dead lifts before work

Oops I do gym tomorrow morning 0645 mind you the roll in fried egg and black pudding is magic

• 2023 Subscriptions

We did!! 9 faces showed, me, Charlie, Fergus, Colin, Andy, Darryl, Paul C, Mark O, Kenny C. Good run down the coast to non other than BB, then back up the coast, chasing vehicles and going flat out etc etc all the usual. Also some added sprints on the way. All in all a chilly day, but very good day, 85 door to door for the Bridge of Weirdos.

Greg

• Committee

Bluebird sunday Oh ya dancer !

Team jwcc Went over track from kilmacolm to Langbank on crunchy snow and ice in brilliant sunshine. Came back on west Glen road on sheet ice but an absolute delight on ice tyres.

Very hard work. An easy thirty minute summer ride is a 90 minute spinfest in the snow.

Did a road bunch go out?

It certainly was a "big" coast for me - 91 miles LW to LW!!!

So did the oldest guy do the most miles?!

Beautiful sunny day for a run.

Thanks for waiting at Bishopton otherwise it would have been a long solo trek home.

Ran the gauntlet of homeward bound Xmas shoppers on the A737 without incident.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Team me on my tod went out my house on my cx bike, over the fence into field next door and had a splendid hour and half riding around in the snow mostly on the top section of Lochwinnoch golf course - found an excellent wee loop though the trees with steps for running up,

took some pictures aka Tony, Alan, etc but not nearly clever enough to get them on the bunch

we really need to get some cross runs in the snow organised

Oh ya dancer !

• Administrators
Team me on my tod went out my house on my cx bike, over the fence into field next door and had a splendid hour and half riding around in the snow mostly on the top section of Lochwinnoch golf course - found an excellent wee loop though the trees with steps for running up,

took some pictures aka Tony, Alan, etc but not nearly clever enough to get them on the bunch

Oh ya dancer !

Were you near windy hill? My friend Michael said he met someone this morning on a cross bike. (I don't know where golf club is)

Oh ya dancer !

Also went out for a solo 'cross blast at Kilbirnie Lochside in what turned out to be a glorious afternoon, brillant fun and hard work. Agree that it would be good to get a bigger group for some offroad snow / ice riding one of these days. A nice wee alternative to the coast.

If you post it they will come.....

D

Mark,

No current "winter" road bike without hassle of converting 'cross bike to road and then back again by addition of / removal of mudguards and skinny tyres, lights etc. Braking power on current 'cross set up also not up to road bunch standard as plagued by extreme front fork judder which is OK off road but frankly scary on it :shock:

Need to spend some time and money doing up another frame as winter bike so won't see me out for a couple of weeks yet.

Otherwise may just go over to the dark side and buy MTB'r for winter fun and fitness ....seriously tempted.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jann - T'was me on the crosser on Windy Hill. Was it Michael McLaughlin? Thought I recognised him, as I went to primary school with him (a number of years ago now! :oops: ). If it was him, please say hello! :grin:

Paul/Davie - Had I realised you guys were out on the crossesr, I would have given you a shout. Hey ho. Next time there is snow......

R