Winter bog's bunch 16/17

Alan McLean

• 2023 Subscriptions

Andy hope you are ok after the off. Colin did a great roadside repair and bent the rear mech hanger back so if the is some problem with gears you might need to get it properly aligned in time.

Brilliant run again and what a day. I suspect maybe Andy was looking at Arran when he fell off !

Big group over 25 again after Largs. Lost about a third of them by Ardrossan as it got quite grippy after Fairlie. As predicted there was indeed a blooterfest on Mont Kilwinning. On the false flat about 8 formed in the front group with Richie, me then Jan all blowing within 100m. Colin and Richie came up to me then we got Jan and got to work. Talking to Scott afterwards the front 8 or so ended up in 2's or 3's so our 5 who rolled home were the peleton Jan. On my old fashioned computer I logged 20.9 mph average from leaving my car to Barrhead which is just what you need for DA17. I couldn't help dreaming that the bunch today could probably do a triple Ohyadancer!

Hope all the JWCC got home ok on a rather chilly day

Hope you recovered from that fall ok Andy it looked spectacular from where I was. Great run today although the lack of miles so far this year was showing with me a bit today. Strong riding at the front by Jan making up for the fact that my legs were gubbed by this point. However after sitting in for a bit managed to keep the legs spinning with the group till Barrhead.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Totally embarrassed guys. I have no idea what happened but possible that rear mech went into spokes. It just threw me off completely. Thanks to Paul, Richie and Colin and I'm sure there weee others but it was all a bit of a haze. Thank fully when I brought John McCrory down who was behind he was okay.

Until then it had been uber fast. I don't quite understand why especially at this time of year. At one point I saw we were doing 28mph along the coast. That said it was really enjoyable!

Post decking it took a bit of time to get going again but by the time I got through fairlie I was feeling fine. I was chuffed when I saw Darryl, Les, Alistair, John Cameron and Alex and some company home. Met Jesse coming back through Paisley so went out to inchinnan with her before heading towards Renfrew.

This is when I had my low point of the day getting rubbed by a car into a pothole going into the swing bridge. Not too pleasant but stayed up.

That said I still rate it an excellent day with great company and good craic!

Andy

Today was awful. 13 of us down to 12 by Gourock, but by the roundabout in Inverkip had lost all feeling in my hands. Short route home beckoned for 7 of us, up over Winn hill in the snow. From strava it looks like the rest u turned in Inverkip and headed home too. Worst I've felt coming off a bike run.

• 2023 Subscriptions

What a miserable morning. Bunch doing a thru and off from the start just to keep warm. In Greenock I was having a problem with my right pedal. Thought it was cleat problem but oh no just after the Gourock lighthouse it came off The crank has just disintegrated inside. Single pedal back to Gourock railway station. Freezing now got train to Bishopton. Asked station man if could leave bike . The officious wee s...e was not for helping but fortunately the guys in the nearby newsagents were very kind. Invited me in to keep warm and looked after my bike. Q bikes next stop for me

• 2023 Subscriptions

Rule 5!

As Alex mentioned 13 very hardy men ground it out to Inverkip roundabout then the Extreme Weather protocol was implemented. I was riding towards Largs with Ian and Aiden Quinn and John A when we realised everyone else had turned back. Ian and I had a bout of sanity and decided to head back as well, tell the truth we realised we would get a severe pumping from the other two!

Charlie, nae luck mate,

Character building stuff, I was totally ice blocked when I got back to Paisly,

Chapeau to the many JWCC, James, Alex, Robbie, Charlie and our latest member Mark.