Main Bunch Do's & don't

Guest EPCC

As more new riders are joining the main bunch I though I would point out a few of the main bunch norms

The bunch generally rides in the continental style.

That means the outside line moves up, without speed changes , how we should do this is the person on the front right informs front left that he is coming in the person front left easies off a bit to allow the front right rider to move over without changing speed

The right lane moves up at the same speed simple

The riders on the front shall signal by voice or by signs holes or other hazards to the bunch

Common shouts are inside shortens to side, middle or outside, all over

Tri bars are not allowed on bikes in the bunch they can be dangerous in a crash

Always keep pedalling when on the front going down hill

Mudguards are required during winter

• 2023 Subscriptions

The riders on the front shall signal by voice or by signs holes or other hazards to the bunch

Common shouts are inside shortens to side, middle or outside, all over

Tri bars are not allowed on bikes in the bunch they can be dangerous in a crash

Always keep pedalling when on the front going down hill

Mudguards are required during winter

Just like to add that the "Tri bars" bit is relevant in any bunch run, not just the main bunch....

....and no half wheeling or allowing gaps to form. Ideally you should be riding with your handle bars in line with the person riding next to you. If a gap appears between you and the rider in front smoothly close it. Everything you do in the bunch should be smooth deliberate, falling off and wrong turns included.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I think this is a great thread, thanks for starting it off Billy!

As new riders come into the main bunch I think its absolutely spot on to review Bunch Riding Skills. I joined the club just under 2-years ago and my 1st year's objective was to acquire these skills. Some less kind observers have suggested that I should have retained this as an objective this year!

This file, or a hyperlink to it was distributed some time last year by All Yuille I think (if I have this wrong apologies).

I wonder whether it would be helpful for us as a club to organise something around bunch riding skills that should include the different bunches riding in the club. This would provide

(a) an opportunity for us to get together as a club

(B) develop riders skills and

© facilitate riders moving from one bunch to another

Just a thought

AndyBunch Riding by Chris White.pdf

• 2023 Subscriptions

As new riders come into the main bunch I think its absolutely spot on to review Bunch Riding Skills. I joined the club just under 2-years ago and my 1st year's objective was to acquire these skills. Some less kind observers have suggested that I should have retained this as an objective this year! ........................ and next year :):)

More Do's

Take some basics with you, these should include device for inflating tyre,levers spare tube. Money, card and a phone, get some of the bunches contact details in case you need help on a ride.

Intensity ( Pace ) usually reduces during winter, but distance may increase.

The bunch usually reforms at the top of climbs, or at some near point, however note what the post says.

More Do's

Take some basics with you, these should include device for inflating tyre,levers spare tube. Money, card and a phone, get some of the bunches contact details in case you need help on a ride.

Intensity ( Pace ) usually reduces during winter, but distance may increase.

The bunch usually reforms at the top of climbs, or at some near point, however note what the post says.

Plus chain breaker and missing link....

• 2023 Subscriptions

How about another club run for all members. Split into small bunches.The more experienced riders providing advice on bunch etiquette to the less experienced.

Len

I think this is a great idea. Annual end of season club run around the post must be due quite soon. We could organise mixed bunches heading out at intervals with emphasis on bunch riding skills.

Andy

• Committee

Thanks Billy, lots of good advice for safe riding.

Some other ideas on comfortable fast riding to cover big distances. (These do not apply on weeknight bonkers hard man training sessions.)

The riders on the front have a responsibilty to set a steady pace, not blow the bunch to pieces when they are feeling good. Do not accelerate when you get to the front. If you are feeling strong then do longer spells and be prepared to sit at the front to pull everyone back from Milngavie when they're all blown. People will love you for it.

Watch any pro break on telly, short spells on the front with smooth changes in a tight group are the key to eating miles. Splintered bunches feel rubbish, look rubbish and ride slow.

Leaders needs to ease up going uphill because otherwise the bunch will always split due to slinky effect. Don't worry if it feels slower, it HAS to be slower for the same power, that's what your gears are for, durr.

If someone wants to have a go they can overtake the leaders on a hill but please don't make every hill a race because the steady circulation is disrupted, ultimately slowing the bunch.

Please listen to Mark and do not half-wheel at the front (riding twelve inches ahead of the other rider.) This has three effects: 1) the paired rider feels they have to accelerate to keep up which is incredibly tedious as the half-wheeler always pulls away again, 2) both lines are now out of sync and the twelve inch overlap at the front becomes a whole bike length further back so no-one can speak to their mates and 3) everybody wishes you had joined another club. Preferably in Tayside.

As Billy says the leader always pedals downhill unless very steep. If the leaders freewheel on descents then the riders in the draft will have to brake.

If you need to slow down on descents then sit up in the wind, try to leave brake levers alone.

Only stand to pedal on a hill if no-one is right behind you. Your back wheel shoots back 6 inches on standing and could take someone down.

Learn how to replace an inner tube in under 5 minutes and carry gas. Canisters are <50p each online which is a bargain on a cold day with twenty riders waiting for you to try to get to 120 psi with a useless biro sized pocket pump.

Alan

How about the repeat of last year's 'club' run to Largs. Same format - groups of 10/12 riders at a managable pace to the Bagel Basket. Those wishing a work out or to stretch their legs can crack on after the coffee stop.

Suggested date could be the Sunday after the Rothesay weekend, whatever date that is.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Billy, lots of good advice for safe riding.

Some other ideas on comfortable fast riding to cover big distances. (These do not apply on weeknight bonkers hard man training sessions.)

The riders on the front have a responsibilty to set a steady pace, not blow the bunch to pieces when they are feeling good. Do not accelerate when you get to the front. If you are feeling strong then do longer spells and be prepared to sit at the front to pull everyone back from Milngavie when they're all blown. People will love you for it.

Watch any pro break on telly, short spells on the front with smooth changes in a tight group are the key to eating miles. Splintered bunches feel rubbish, look rubbish and ride slow.

Leaders needs to ease up going uphill because otherwise the bunch will always split due to slinky effect. Don't worry if it feels slower, it HAS to be slower for the same power, that's what your gears are for, durr.

If someone wants to have a go they can overtake the leaders on a hill but please don't make every hill a race because the steady circulation is disrupted, ultimately slowing the bunch.

Please listen to Mark and do not half-wheel at the front (riding twelve inches ahead of the other rider.) This has three effects: 1) the paired rider feels they have to accelerate to keep up which is incredibly tedious as the half-wheeler always pulls away again, 2) both lines are now out of sync and the twelve inch overlap at the front becomes a whole bike length further back so no-one can speak to their mates and 3) everybody wishes you had joined another club. Preferably in Tayside.

As Billy says the leader always pedals downhill unless very steep. If the leaders freewheel on descents then the riders in the draft will have to brake.

If you need to slow down on descents then sit up in the wind, try to leave brake levers alone.

Only stand to pedal on a hill if no-one is right behind you. Your back wheel shoots back 6 inches on standing and could take someone down.

Learn how to replace an inner tube in under 5 minutes and carry gas. Canisters are <50p each online which is a bargain on a cold day with twenty riders waiting for you to try to get to 120 psi with a useless biro sized pocket pump.

Alan

Alan, all well made points. On the last though I have to say if you've never seen Paul Macdonald thrashing himself on a wee pump its well worth hanging about for :-)

Andy

Back to bunch riding, despite posting the initial guidance from the guy at Randwick CC I actually disagree with what he says about riding off (ie to the side ) of the the wheel in front. I think this is one of the biggest problems with our bunch riding. Too often riders position themselves well to the left or (usually) right of the wheel in front. This has the effect of forcing the rider behind them to ride further out in the road to obtain any benefit from drafting. If riders down the line do the same then the bunch is staggered all over the road causing problem for riders and other traffic. I have often been riding off the front but been forced out to ride in the wind by somebody riding between the wheels of the guys in front.

I think you should ride ON THE WHEEL. Echelons are for specific conditions on closed roads. A couple of inches either side makes sense to avoid touching wheels in the event of sudden moves in front but remember the main rule of bunch riding is do everything slowly. Bogs bunch and Thursday nights you have to ride on the wheel or you get dropped ,we should make sure we do the same on club runs so we all benefit from the bunch.

I agree, Al.

Richard Provan pulled me up for riding to the side while out with the winter bogs bunch.

Said riding to the side is ok if racing in a crosswind but really no need if just spinning along.

I believe him.