Tom Hill

Mark O

Hi All,

Quick post to advise that Tom Hill to a sore tumble today, resulting in a really nasty gash just above his knee. Will most likely need more than a few stitches from the look of it. Visit to A&E for Tom with Bill Thomson holding his hand for moral support. Vote of thanks due to couple at the Cloch Lighthouse for taking Tom in and making him as comfortable as possible given the circumstances. Will post up as and when I hear anything on Tom's state. if anyone else hears news post up also

As a general thought we were lucky that Tom's tumble didn't happen in the middle of nowhere. do we have any first aiders within the club and does anyone pack even a basic first aid kit. I've been trained but it was some years ago and to say i'm rusty would be a compliment

Cheers

Mark

Interim update on Tom. I've spoken to Bill who advises that Tom's gash is particularly nasty and he is being transfered to the RHA possibly to go to theatre to have his wound cleaned properly. I intend to get in contact with Tom's wife later to find out how he is doing. apparently Tom was in reasonable spirits when bill left him. Updates to follow.

M

Yip. My thoughts are with Tom. A real shame as he has been coming on leaps & bounds. These things can happen, especially in a big group like this. Tom, hope you make a speedy recovery, you still have plenty of time to get In shape for Italy & no doubt you will treat yourself to some fancy bikey gizmos to lift your spirits!

Tom

There was no need to stage a crash so that you had an excuse for not doing the next few hard weeks of turbo training no seriously hope your fixed up soon and you should buy some bike being to cheer yourself up

Hi All,

I've just spoken to Heidi regards Tom. Pretty much as was posted earlier. He has been transfered to the Southern to go theatre to have his wound cleaned either tonight or in the morning, just whenever there is a slot. Initial reports are that there is no bone damage but the docs will check out his kneecap while they're doing the cleaning job, but a serious wound nonetheless.

Tom is reported to be in good spirits and like a true pro was more concerned about his bike and assos tights than his injury. Word has it he refused to let the ambulance crew cut him out of his gear and had to be stripped, to the shock of the female crew member. Outstanding performance by the man.

Heidi is going to call me tomorrow to give a further news, and will let you all know in due course.

Mark

PS 10 bonus points on Colin's comp for a correct prediction of the number of stitches inserted.

Mark

I have been trained in first aid but riding a bike and carrying kit to treat common ailments such like broken collar bones and all cuts and road rashes would be just not practicle what happpend today regarding treatment of T is in my opinion the best option ask to see if person is okay if not call professional help as i would not like somebody like me trying to both decide what i have actuallly damaged how bad its damaged and what treatment is required, we all carry phones and in most cases could summon help if required.

Just my thoughts on firs aid

Tom,

Sorry to hear about your tumble and hope you are healed soon.

Looking for some good results from you now in the predictions comp as it sounds like you will have time to study the formbooks ;-)

As regards 1st aid I recently completed my advanced refresher course but thats not much use if I'm not getting out :angryfire

I know there was a recent posting from Ramsay about spaces on a course and I would highly reccomend everybody to try and get on at least a basic course.

Probably the best thing is to realise that if you think its serious get a call to 999 as soon as possible.

Colin Hello, beer !!

I don't know if Mark has a first aid badge but he did offer Tom mouth to mouth. This is most likely what caused Tom to go into shock. He then offered the same to Chiung, Paul & myself. I know I refused....

Spoke to Heidi a little while ago. Tom is off to theatre tonight, so fingers crossed it's just a case of a good clean out, being sewn together again, before as comfortable night as possible wired to the moon on drugs. Have passed on the good wishes from everyone to Tom and Heidi. Hopefully he'll make a swift recovery and be back in the bunch before long. will post further as and when I have more news

M

You are a BAD man, Hincapie. Ol' Nick as a special place for you!!

Read this thread with interest. Don't know Tom, but best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I've been a First Aider for 25 years now. If looking for a light first aid kit for the bike , keep a clean roll of electrical tape inside a wee snap shut polly bag under your saddle. The sticky side of PVC electrical tape is sterile until opened. It can be used to hold wounds closed, make collar bone support slings, immobilise virtually anything and may even keep gobs shut if required :-) It's not much use on assos tights though...............

All first aid is a temporary measure until professional help can be obtained. Just remember not to have the tape so tight that it limits blood flow?

ps...................am also trained in helicopter fire fighting in case somebody gets too close to a burning helicopter when out on a Sunday run? :flamethrower