Tom Hill

Mark O

• 2023 Subscriptions

Back home tonight. Thanks to everyone for their support!!

All in all not a bad injury in terms of recovery. I hope to be back out in 3-4 weeks. The surgeon is a cyclist and gave me a few pointers on how to recover quickly. It might actually help my hill-climbing which can't be a bad thing.

As for the number of stitches I do not yet know, but will count them on Wednesday when I change the wound dressing and post accordingly.

I am guessing about 15 visible. As for the inner stitches, we'll never know.

All true regarding the tights...... well you don't want to be buying those every week, do you?

The doctors at Inverclyde had a good old time folding back the skin and scrubbing away at the wound. Even with local anaesthetic this was not the most pleasant way to pass thirty minutes, even if I was lying on my back with Heidi stroking my head!

They were unhappy with their efforts and so thought someone else, with an even coarser brush and a power washer might like to have a go. Much to my relief IMO was closed and so I was transferred to the Southern General where they had a bed and an unusually quiet theatre. Thanks to a general anaesthetic, my memory of the second cleaning is happily non-existent.

No bone or ligament damage so only a very, very clean flesh wound and bruising to heal. A few days of painkillers and horse tablets, masquerading as antibiotics and then try to get back to normal ASAP.

As soon as I saw the gash, I could only think that I would lose the benefit of all that training. Fortunately it should not be that much of a set back.

I am going on a skiing holiday on the 5th of February for a week, but hope to be out before then. Either way I'll be back out as soon as possible.

Do you really think the arrow was necessary?

Tom

• 2023 Subscriptions

...........I did ask him if he had been to Flanders. As you say mistakes can happen!!

Tips were mainly about using a turbo which involved a lot of standing and knee flexing. Far better to be on the bike proper I would say.

Tom

• 2023 Subscriptions

And the answer is..... 10 stitches - so full points to One Lung.

Hopefully the swelling will subside in a couple of days. I have a before picture but it is not very pretty. S[attachment=0]IMG_0172.jpg[/attachment]o in the interests of good taste I thought this was enough.

Tom

OUCH!!!! You'll need a good story to go with that one, Tom. Ah fell aff ma bike ain't going to cut it, no pun intended. Thinking bull shark attack here or crocs even or spear wielding cannibalistic natives from Feegie Park (other sink estates are available).

• 2023 Subscriptions

Saturday the 14th was a good day....... if your name is Tom Hill anyway. Oh ya dancer !

6 days in and 6km on turbo. I wasn't pushing and it was not exactly comfortable but it was not too unpleasant either.

If you had told me last Sunday night that I'd be on the turbo on Saturday I would have had you committed!

Tom

Tom, well done you. Good to see you're back on the saddle. No truth in the rumour you've got a set of DOOLEYS sponsored stabilisers. Nice piccy, appealed to my 9 year old.

Will see back in the bunch soon. You're absence explains the extra bacon roll this morning

Cheers

Mark

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tom,

Suitably nasty looking :!: , but glad you are back on the turbo :grin: .

It looks a very similar cut to my windsurfing incident of 2009 (where I had the dubious pleasure of seeing my whole kneecap :shock: ). Anyway, I was able to get back racing within 5weeks, so hopefully you will have a similarly quick return.

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Martin

That made me laugh. cheers!!

Ramsay

I can't believe how quickly it is healing.

Training now being resumed. Wound has almost stopped weeping.

I did 20 miles on the turbo and pushing it yesterday and my leg feels much better today. Still a little stiff in the morning but that and the range of free movement also improve daily.

Hoping to be out on Sunday :lol:

Tom