Lang Whang Hilly TT 19th March

alexb

• 1 month later...

Despite Roberto's warning I rode my first proper TT today.

For sale: Planet X Exo3...

I had watched the BBC "Wheel of Fortune" weather forecast change each hour of Saturday and went to bed happy the strong winds and heavy rain forecasted by the BBC had eventually landed on overcast with a bit of wind, only to wake to heavy rain and strong winds being forecast again.

The course is a 15 mile drag down the A71 to Carnwarth with a 15 mile drag back up. I had thought 1:15 was a good target (averaging 24mph).

The first 15 miles were torturous with heavy headwinds, showery conditions and far more hills than I can remember (very similar to Roberto's description). Struggled to hold 15 mph at times and my mind just counted down the miles to Carnwarth when surely the tail winds home would be epic! Think I was close to 50 minutes at the turn and reset my target to get under 1:30!

What a route of two halves! Holding 30mph for long periods and frequently 40mph + I watched the potential time tumble. With the tail winds and surprisingly fresh legs I spotted, caught and passed a fair few riders before rounding a summit corner for the final sprint to the line stopping my Garmin at a tad over 1:21. Not sure what final time was as results not posted yet.

Great spread laid on by West Lothian Clarion, including the fabulous chocolate Guinness cake. A great end to a most enjoyable 80 mins of torture!

IMG_0866.JPG

Cheers guys. I used 50mm rear and trispoke front (all over the place at times, but lots ran full disc set up!)

Fair point Billy - would have hoped to be better than mid-table. The first 15 miles were awful and didn't push hard enough through these. Had far too much left at the end. First long TT so all learning.

I hardly have time for zwift or training. New job is getting right in the way of this cycling lark...