March 2nd

Guest EPCC

Enjoyed today. Good sized bunch.

Faster pace than I've had in recent months so the elastic snapped a few miles out of Largs.

A few of us turned off for WK and anything other than pan flat hurt the quads. Not enough stamina there just now.

Cheers for the wheels, especially on the run home from WK.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Guest George

OOF!!!

Bit of a dawdle to Largs but once we got past West Kilbride the more compact group got stuck into it.

I was absolutely gubbed about 5 miles from Barrhead, sore left knee & cramp in right quad. Haven't had cramp for about 20 years before today. Must be down to squatting 250 kilos in the gym on Friday morning :(

Sooner coach Billy's bonkers weight training torture is over the better!

I'm away for a sleep.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks for the wheels, really enjoyed it. Sorry I missed the turn at Kilwinning Chung, took next turn and Paul dragged me back to bowfield(thanks Paul). Then 2 hours of sofa shopping with wife and mother-in-law, shoot me now!

Really good run today with a fair sized bunch. Great to see so many out, must have been the promise of no rain or at worse light drizzle.

Would echo G's comments the run to Largs was pretty straightforward, down to the 3 Towns wasn't bad either despite the strong wind. Definitely tired legs in the bunch by then. The return to Barrhead was a case of mile fatigue setting in. Eventually sat up and trundled home with about 5 miles to go. Empty tank.

Couple of points regards the bunch itself for the benefit of the lesser experienced riders and a reminder for those who should know better. It was a bit raggedy at times, I know I was getting a little twitchy as a result. In part this was down to the size of the bunch, but only in part. This is aimed at all, including me. We all make errors either because we don't know any better, don't think or switch off esp when tired or working harder than normal - all human and understandable but we need to minimise them. So some things to ponder on and put into practice to make for an efficient and safe group......and better cyclists of us all.

Do everything in the bunch smoothly and deliberately. Quick movements, such as hard braking or surges or dropping off the general pace, ripples back up the bunch, but magnifies itself as it does so. Your 2 mph change of speed at the front causes chaos at the back. Learn to read the road and anticipate well in advance of having to act to give yourself and the bunch time to adjust SMOOTHLY. Brake early and easily gently scrubbing off speed into junctions or lights.

Pay attention to the wheel in front but not to the extent you forget where you are. Look ahead and anticipate changes in front of you. Use your peripheral vision to keep tabs on the wheel in front.

Try not to let gaps form, keep on the wheel in front. If a gap opens you have to expend energy doing it and expend energy while the gap exisits.

Spelling up - This is something we all need to work on. There are tons of guides out there in internet land have a look see, but this is not rocket science.

Firstly, indicate to the inside man you are going thru - this gives the man behind some clue to what's happening. DO NOT ACCELERATE!!!!!! this causes the speed to surge and gaps to form. The inside man should ease up a little (say a half mph, if that) in reality its an easing on the pressure on the pedals or opening up his chest to slightly check the speed.

The outside man should move out in front smoothly with little of no discernable change in pace, check under his are or wait for a verbal ok before moving across to the inside. If you accelerate to go through 2 things can happen. The pace continues to creep up to the point the bunch starts to break up or you go through and then 'sit up' to prevent a gap which the causes bunching at the back as people touch their brakes to scrub off speed.

The man coming through onto the front should not accelerate either. If he is paying attention he shouldn't have to. He should follow the wheel in front requiring only to increase the pressure on the pedals as he comes out of the draft to MAINTAIN his speed. If you are slow to react, smoothly move up along side don't surge forward - see comment on the effect within the bunch of surging. This should in theory apply to the Thursday night chaingang with the exception that the overall pace should increase smoothly over the length of the Westferry until its at full gas between the last 2 roundabouts and the run from Kilmacolm back to and along the Georgetown.

The inside man should dictate the pace to prevent half wheeling - you ride bars to bars with the inside man. That pace should be the same as before the change over.

If you are having a bad day or out of your comfort zone don't go to the front and then sit at a pace that suits you. It will cause bunching behind you which will cause hard braking and wheel touching and then there will be tears. Pedal through smoothly and get off the front. Then shout for things to ease up a tad to allow you to recover slightly. Don't sit up in the bunch either - KEEP pedalling. That said one man can't dictate the overall pace either up or down.

On the point of KEEP PEDALLING. Don't coast on descents and don't sit at 16 mph at the front either. There will be a half dozen guys on their brakes if you do. Be aware of your surroundings. Ideally you shouldn't stop pedalling in the bunch. Adjust your cadence or gearing accordingly as a way of adjusting your speed.

Communicate! Point out where people are going wrong or being inefficient, you're doing them and the group a favour. Ask for an easing of the pace. Don't get pinged and not holler at the last man. We will ease up to allow guys to get back on (within reason).

If not sure what to do ask one of the older grumpier types to guide you.

Generally we are pretty good at bunch riding and when there is a group of guys who know and trust the riding style of those around them we can have really neat and strong groups. If you're still new watch the smooth guys, those who don't wiggle about in the saddle, who pedal from the waist and are neat and tidy. Learn from them.

Definitely not a rant from me as we are not too bad most of the time and not intended to be exhaustive either, just a few pointers to help make things better.

M

I await Billy's usual rebuttal. :icon_mooning

Good day on the bike if i ignore my leg ,myself and Iain went down to kilmacolm and back 100 miles on the button

No comment to make on Marks rant yet

Chapeau MacB and Iain, crooked leg as well for the old boy. You should give up sprinting become a skinny and climb hills.

I'll have been 100 +/- a mile either way. 54 to Largs, circa 20 to Irvine and the same again to Barrhead and 7 or so to Carmunnock. Good to get long miles in the legs.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Enjoyable day and pleased to get 100 miles in the legs, first of the year for me. Also got the strava granfondo challenge in the bag :) Was suffering a bit on the Lugton to Barrhead stretch so didnt exactly do my fair turn on the front, sorry about that...if i'd stayed on any longer i'd have been out the back soon as my turn was over.