Glasgow Wheelers Women's Road Race

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi folks

A colleague of mine is organising a women's road race on the Rosneath Peninsula ~ 35 miles. The race takes place on 20th April an is now live for entry on BC:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/86576/Glasgow-Wheelers-Women%27s-Road-Race

They are aiming for this to be the most highly subscribed women's race in Scotland this year! Can you let any interested friends, colleagues, family and fellow wheelers know about it?

Cheers

Andy

• 1 month later...

Jann i just called Sarah she says for those who dont have a licence you can buy a day one for £10 and they will accept the bronze BC as long as it is a provisional race licence ( can you confirm that it is ) Elaine is giving it some serious thought on entering

Can you also pm me the club code for discounted BC membership

Carol the way I understand it to be is if you have a minimum race licence e.g. bronze ( which is free for the first year to club members ask jann how to get it ) you just pay your entry fee £15 and your good to go but if you don't want a licence you can buy one at the start for a tenner but if will only be valid for that one race

Greig

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Race day tomorrow! When I got a place in the Scott Contessa academy I promised myself I would have a go in at least one race, tomorrow has a field of 50 women riders, cat 2, cat 3, cat 4 and newbies like myself, Elaine and Carol.

Unfortunately I cant make the Jim Daly memorial but I will be very proud to be racing on one of Jims bikes.

3 joansin ladies started but were really unlucky to be forced right to the very back of the bunch at the start . Elaine , Carol & Jann started off together and that was the last i saw them till they got back to the start for lap number 2 , Elaine was the first wheeler up the 15% hill at the start and Carol was 16 mins behind her this is where she decided to retire as she had been unwell all week and felt sick . We waited for Jann to start her 2nd lap but no sign of her till she appeared in her car and in her own words she was gubbed. I got a phone call from Elaine saying she had just suffered her first blow out and Carol and i headed off to try and rescue her but a service car was with her after about 10 mins and gave her a wheel so that she could finish the race . With precious time lost she was at this point in last place with about 7 miles to go and her nearest wheel was roughly 4 miles in front of her so we headed back to the finish line and waited for her and to everyones surprise Elaine had caught the girls in front of her and went past them on the hill so not to finish last i think her place was about 40 out of around 50 starters but a few didnt do the 2nd lap for various reasons

Well done to all 3 for taking part

Well done the 3 of you for giving it a right go. As a club we should be encouraging our lady members to dip their toe into competitive cycling and in a wider sense give more females the confidence to get out on a bike to start with and possibly join a club.

Again well done.

M