Glasgow Wheelers Women's Road Race

Gummers

• Administrators

I've almost recovered so I'll my race report from a rider point of view.

Route was changed few days before and extended by few miles for rider safety, 2 x 18.5 mile laps. If i had driven the course I wouldn't have started.

Knew it was going to be tough when I saw the start list and the numbeir of last minute entries from cat 2 & 3 riders.

Arrived at sign on nice and early, got my race numbers and handed over my licence, dropped off spare front wheel for service car. Pumped up tyres, water, gel and sorted out layers and off for a warm up.

Meet point for race briefing was in car park at top of Whistlefield which contains 15% climb, I thought I was going to be sick before I made it to the top!

Got our instructions from commisaire and off we went up to roundabout, left turn and up another hill, this time a long drag into a headwind. We were supposed to at this point be neutralised and then the race would officially start but there was a slow coach at the back still spinning up the hill!

Continued past one rider who had abandoned, then the commisaire pulled up in a car beside me and told me to stop at the top, I thought I was race over before I had started, Got there and the bunch was waiting!

Off down steep descent towards coulport, sore hands from holding brakes. Quite nice round coast into wind, eventually stopped feeling sick by time I got to Cove and squeezed down a gel. Carried on with the mindset I was doing a lap felt like i was doing a reasonable pace, came out of Kilcreggan I think and up another climb, asked a lady walking up the hill how many miles to Garelochhead, she said eh not sure takes us about 15 mins ulin the car.

• Administrators

Part 2

Reckoned it was about 5 miles to go, legs were feeling it by this point. Carried on knowing I was nearly done and could pick up the car to go up to the finish.I just didnt have the legs for a 2nd lap and a climb to the finish.

I would have a go again, but next time I would actually do some training!!!