Combined Bunch Ride Sun 23rd Sept '12

Mark O

This has been a topic that has cropped up now and then on the forum and in the bunches (I'm told).

I'm proposing an all inclusive "end of season" whole club social Sunday run for the 23rd Sept. The route will be Miller Street, Georgetown Road, Bishopton, Westferry, through Greenock and Gourock and down the coast to Largs, up the Haylie Brae, over to Kilbirnie and then along the track returning to Miller Street for a bit of a social.

The concept will be to mix the bunch(es) with 30 milers, intermediates and antisocial main bunchers. The pace will be relaxed down to Largs, every man/woman for him/herself up the Haylie with a regroup at the entrance to the civic skip site. The fast boys can then up the pace if they so wish back to Miller Street with a view to opening up the clubrooms putting on the soup and kettle.

NB. No meeting on route please, the start is Miller St. I will not rule out a 30 sprint into Largs, if safe to do so, and relaxed pace is not 10mph - bunches will slow down or send someone back for stragglers to get back on but the expectation will be you try to get back on if dropped given the route is generally flat. Usual rules for mechanicals etc apply.

Bunch sizes probably limited to no more than 20, consquently there may be more than 1 bunch. I'm open to the idea of a mass lycra clad invasion of the Bagel Basket for a coffee stop and a bacon roll (Chung now tempted), but will go with majority view.

Rolling out of Miller Street 09.00 sharp with subsequent bunches going at approx 5 minute intervals.

The idea is to get to know your fellow club members you never otherwise meet as we all spend the rest of the year persuing our own individual or collective cycling agendas, to ask questions of more experience riders, pass your knowledge on others, dispell some of the myths and generally have a bit of fun. Newbies and potential new members or indeed some old members who think they could do the distance also most welcome.

Any takers? Post up - in order to get an idea of numbers - add the bunch you normally ride with - helps with random mix. Would be nice to see as many faces as possible on the day. This might take a bit of organising in terms of food etc to clubrooms and some homebaking volunteers perhaps? Offers to muck in would be appreciated.

Mark O

PS not sure about more senior Jets taking part. Kenny/Martin can you advise, it is a full club day afterall.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up for this, although I have applied to enter the Fort William Loachaber 100 on the 22nd!

Therefore, voting to boost the BB profits and can I go in the first bunch so that the remaining bunches can tow me home?

Cheers

Alan F

P.S. Are you sure about the 10 mph pace...looks appealing?

Great idea Mark lets have a big show for this one what could be better than a large train of blue and yellow heading down to the 30 milers B B in Largs

Ewan you will be fine for this run the good ol 30 milers will see you to the end we dont do cycling away and leaving anyone :grin:

Greig & Elaine Hello, beer !!

ps Elaine says she will do some baking for the returning calvary probably fruit and plain scones :icon_yes

• 2023 Subscriptions

PS not sure about more senior Jets taking part. Kenny/Martin can you advise, it is a full club day afterall.

I'm not sure about some of the more senior Wheelers taking part! :icon_mooning Only joking, this could be the start of my comeback as I try to get fit enough to join Billy's winter programme.

I've done the coast run with my own two older Jets (age 14 and 12) including the sprint into Largs (I won, before you ask. But it was Father's day and they said they gave it to me :angryfire ) Some of our older riders could join in, but think it would be wise to specify some conditions. For example road bikes only, experience of bunch riding on an open road, previous experience at or near that distance, and no unaccompanied riders.

Martin,

Thanks for that. Ride is open to senior Jets (and senior Wheelers). Please see Martin's post for general criteria on whether you should be taking part. I would work on the basis that if you are in any doubt of your abilities or skills then err on the side of caution, hopefully there will be future rides of this nature.

Mark O

No posts from the inter-muggles as yet are they not wanting to play ? Maby their looking for a new name for next season eg huffy and anti social bunch :grin: cmon get yer names down for a wheelers and.jets day out down the coast I'm sure George will want someone to try and wind up from his table for 1

Greig :icon_mooning:icon_mooning

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All,

So far we have 15 down to ride this one. I accept that there are those who normally turn out on a Sunday but don't post. However, as part of the day is a little bit of a post ride social I'm looking to establish likely numbers to cater for at the clubrooms, just the usual soup and a roll, tea coffee and some scones (cheers Missus Greg!) and buns - Home baking is very welcome from those skilled in the art. Also if I know who is riding I can loosely establish the groups beforehand to save the usual chaos and hanging about immediately before setting out.

Also, are there any key holders riding. If so can you identify yourselves. If no keyholder is riding can someone get in touch with me in order to make a key available. We would probably need the clubrooms opened up Sunday before the ride say half 8ish.

This has been billed as an end of season social ride which I hope it will turn out to be. It is a chance to ride with fellow club members who you don't normally get a chance to ride with.

Mixed groups, social pace, coffee at the BB followed by a bit of a social back at JWCC HQ, can't think of many better ways to spend a sunday.

Cheers

M