Jim Daly Memorial APR 2012

P McDonald

Well my fears of being immediately shot off the back proved unfounded.

Surprised to still be in the lead group with only half a lap to go.

I just got tailed off on the last hill when Paul McD's group caught us & the pace

Went up. Had we got over the hill before they bridged I may have held on.

Still pleased with my ride. As I said to Ramsay, I was only half a stone away

From hanging on!

Congrats to Ben & many thanks to Paul & his helpers for organising a great event.

Thanks too to those who gave me a shout of encouragement on the course!

Cheers,

George.

Big thanks to Paul McDonald and all the marshalls and helpers. A really well put together event and a cracking course, especially liked that freewheelin' swooping down hill bit. :grin:

So we need'nt of packed the suncream but it would'nt be Scotland without a downpour i suppose.

I think paul judged the groups well in that the chasing pack only caught the first group half way around the last lap. I'm suprised the first group was caught at all due to the slow pace of lap 3 and 4 and little to no chaingang cooperation going on. Was only when Paul shouted that "We are racing for 30th place right now" that actions were taken.

Respect due to Gordon Murdoch and David Thomson for a long breakaway spell that was the start of the split.

So happy to of won a road race, i can hang up my Sidi's now and die a happy man.

Well done the Joansin riders, many of whom were in the mix at the end, many happy faces today and i'm sure the memory of Jim Daly lifted folk to ride harder.

Ben. Hello, beer !!

Well that was different. 3 seasons in one day, including hailstones and flooding. A pretty good field. Plenty of blue and yellow on the road and Paul got his timings pretty much on the money, with the elite group catching the erlier groups with about 5 miles to go. From the first group there was a 5 or 6 man break away during lap 1 which was eventually reeled back in. A solo break then occured during lap 2/3 which was also reeled in. Group 2 caught us during lap 3 I think. I was having a difficult period at this point however the pace did seem to lessen a little.

The whole peleton came together on the last lap at the far side of the circuit on the vertical bits. The paisley express (who else?) going at full tilt. At this point everything exploded. A group of 15 riders, mostly the elite boys, but a number from the other groups also went off the front, leaving the rest of us in their wake. Paul McD, myself and 2 others managed to get away before the turn for Barmill and stay away from the chasing bunch. We picked a straggler from the leading bunch on the way in and headed for the line. I overcooked the final corner before the home straight and the others nicked through on the inside. Nothing left for the sprint and couldn't get back on. PMcD 1st Johnstone to finish, which I think was apt given the work he's put in organising it. Cheers Paul, many thanks a well deserved beer or two to night that man.

Was a good race all told, quite enjoyed it and another whole load of lessons to take on board. i'm sure the others will post up adding their tales from today's events.

Well done Paul for running the face and Ben for winning

I sod like to say my mechanical was the reason for my 5 lap effort but alas it was a bit of BRI.g cold but more of my legs being .knackerd like George weight management is my goal for the rest of the year

Congrays to all the Wheelers Charlie included who is o.e up with loads to play

Ride of the day must go to apart from Ben Hincapie though when he went to the front of the cake Que his nose did bleed

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done Ben for winning. Well done Paul for organising. Well done to all the JWCC riding. Oh ya dancer !

My wee corner stayed reasonably dry, but the riders looked awfully damp when they came round about half way through the race.

Couple of riders had their back wheel out coming into the corner where I was, but quick reactions and good skills kept them upright. :shock:

Cheers to Paul C and Bill for a bit of company. Hello, beer !!

Another great JWCC event. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Cheers,

R

Billy, is it true that when most riders were feasting on scones at the finish you were

Sooking sour grapes?

I rode the perfect tactical race while others rode like novices. Not pointing any

Elbows....

• 2023 Subscriptions

Totally, totally knackered now !

A fantastic day with great help from so many people, thank you to each and every one of you.

Really great to see Allison there to do the honours and Jims brother and sister there to make presentation to winner.

In actual fact there were only 4 from groups 3 and 4 got across to the front of the race. First of all David and Gordon Murdoch attacked and were away for a few miles, On the 5th climb as David started to fall back after his effort, Ben sensed the danger and put the hammer down with only myself and Graham Mercer able to get on his wheel. We were then treated to a Paisley Express experience as Ben more or less single handedly rode us up to Gordon and onwards up to the front group of the race. Unfortunately for me we caught the front group on the hill just as I was imploding and it split with 12 from the front group and the other 3 who were with me making a new front group. So I finished in a second group with Mark.

Really well done on this promotion JWCC !

Will post up full results later.

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Result below posted on Braveheart

1 83 Ben Peacock 2:29:13

5 2 52 David Hamill st

6 3 44 Owen Ross st

7 4 79 Gordon Murdoch st

8 5 48 Thomas Coyle st

9 6 45 Wilson Kane st

10 7 38 Stuart Grady st

11 8 47 Derek Hamilton st

12 9 36 George Roberts st

13 10 75 Graham Mercer st

14 11 40 Derek McMillan st

15 12 37 Gordon Jackson 25

16 13 43 Simon Kenny st

17 14 32 Robert Kelly 28

18 15 22 Scott Anderson 30

19 16 71 Paul McDonald 1:33

20 17 11 Cammy Fisher 1:35

21 18 16 Jay Burgess st

22 19 25 Mark O'Neill st

23 20 46 Craig Allan 1:38

24 21 23 Billy Roberton st

25 22 39 Michael Curran st

26 23 70 Ricky Sutherland 1:47

27 24 77 Christopher Stewart st

28 25 69 Peter Collins 1:49

29 26 61 Phil Deveney st

30 27 67 David Anderson st

31 28 74 Terence McMahon st

32 29 84 David Dalziel st

33 30 ?? Unidentified (VC Glasgow South) st

34 31 56 Stuart Baylis 1:52

35 32 21 Brian Boyd st

36 33 58 David Thompson st

37 34 33 Keith Hood 1:58

38 35 65 Graeme Small st

39 36 20 Charlie McCusker st

40 37 9 Oscar Marletta st

41 38 26 David Lang 2:12

42 39 35 David Borland 3:02

43 40 5 George Donnelly 3:04

44 41 30 John McComisky 12:41

45 42 7 Kenny McKay 23:27

George

yes there was a touch of bitternest and yes you rode a much better race than me but its the tannins in the great grape of Spain that makes it bitter

On to second bottle of recovery and looking forward to tomorow you out

• 8 months later...