RELIABILITY 4 WESTKILBRIDE 26TH FEB

Guest EPCC

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul McD wrote

Yes for the 'sharp 10am' bunch. I propose a heads down, a..e up, single line approach to the full route as we cannot have a full reliability season with the scratch group not catching.

Mark - with this talk of wheels I just have to mention I got a pair of Dura Ace clinchers, they may never leave the glass case on my mantle piece....

Dont be such a misery guts Paul , let your mate borrow them, it's only for 1 day :lol:

Ian

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the concern guys. Just no new wheels yet!! Awaiting delivery to office hopefully today. New cassette and chain ordered as well. I had put off replacing these in the, now forlorn, hope I could nurse them til the end of the winter but the dead wheel kind of forced the issue. If they don't appear today I will, after wiping tears and snot on my sleeve, look at fitting plastic muddies to new bike.

Ah Ha! developments as I type. Big box for moi in reception. Haven't ordered new flat pack wife lately therefore I deduce wheels may have arrived. Woo Hoo parcel force.......

......confirmed wheels arrived. May need luddites R us technical assistance once package opened and rifled through. Will keep you all posted.

M

Ok, I think I'm officially out of my comfort zone. Front wheel fine - tubes and tyres required front and back no worries there. Cassette assembled onto hub with final flush cap (lock nut?) now on finger tight. I suggest I need a specific tool to tighten the whole assembly together. Any takers?

Also need chain spliter to remove old chain and fit new one. I did have one of these many moons ago. Again, I'd be indebted to a good soul if any one can assist. Any advice as to chain length or are these a standard one size fits all? Riding a 53/39 at front and cassette is now 12-25. Apologies for showing my ignorance.

Cheers

M

• 2023 Subscriptions
Cassette assembled onto hub with final flush cap (lock nut?) now on finger tight. I suggest I need a specific tool to tighten the whole assembly together. Any takers?

Cheers

M

Certainly worth putting on a bit tighter Mark, else you'll end up limping home red-faced like I did last Sunday... :oops::oops::oops:

Could offer you a Campag tool but that might not be good enough for you. :smash

• Life Members

Mark,

You'll need a Shimano Fit Lock Ring Nut to fully tighten your cassette (otherwise, you'll end up as Martin did last week) I think as far as chain whip concern, you don't really need one when you are tightening the nut, you'll definitely need one if you are taking the nut off the wheel. I'm pretty sure you can get one from Dooleys or Dales in town.

As for breaking or joining a chain, any chain tool will do. Have you thought able putting a "speed link" on to join the chain, its great! Dead easy to put on & off especially for chain cleaning purpose.

As for chain length, what I tend to do is wrap your new chain round the small chain ring on front and the smallest sprocket on the back (you obviously have to feed the chain through the derailleur jockey wheels as you would in normal drive position) then you judge the length of the chain base on the the bottom part of the chain not touching the bottom of the lower jockey wheel. A bit of slack is needed as the chain shouldn't be rubbing each other. I hope you understand my description! :shock:

P.S What wheels did you get?

Good luck!

See you on Sunday

Cheers

Chung

• Members

Mark, I've got the tools but I'm not very handy in terms of dropping off/picking up, especially if you need them before Sunday. Get in touch if no-one on your side of the river can help.

You *will* have to cut the chain. Perfectly straightforward for a man of your mental prowess. ;-) Just take your time and follow the "largest chainring, largest sprocket" method here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing

• Committee

Greg

Looks like last bunch is leaving at 1000 sharp rather than 0945. I hope to join for a few minutes.

Mark

Re. chain length: just cut to same length as old chain. hang the two alongside each other or lay on workbench.

I should be in tomorrow afternoon and have tools. PM me if you'd like to bring your bike round. Should only take 10 minutes if you have a quick link for the chain.

Alan

Jan,

I am bringing the soup this morning about 9:10.

I will not be able to put it in the club as I do not have key and Ian is meeting us at Bishopton.

So, soup will be in the car until I get back unless youy intercept us on the way out and take my car keys.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan

Sorry we missed you

We left at 10 sharp and had a fast start with an average of 21.7mph to Greenock. We were on a mission and we were not hanging about.

Excellent day, well done to all who did the route (and those who took artistic licence to alter the route :grin: )

Oh ya dancer !

Well done all. A tough day at the office for me and my legs are not disagreeing. Thanks to the guys in the 10 Bells bunch for not abandoning me on the 78. Got a second wind after 5 -10 mins in the 9.30 bunch. Will be back for more of the same next week.

Greigsy, the humble pie is in the post now that universal parity has been restored :icon_mooning.

M

Richard, this post is mostly for you as I know you are a fan of the numbers! Unfortunately my average speed nose dived at Gateside whereupon I could no longer keep up with the pace. A hard day, glad I missed the preceding episodes. :grin:

Many, many thanks to those who provided the soup at the end, it was like nectar!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/152814446

In the 9:30 bunch and had a good run to today.

Shame on those who turned left at Dalry and headed up the track thereby cutting 5 miles of the trip.

Salute to DavieT, Davie B, Skinny Two Lungs, Colin and me who did full route. Any way we had the key for my car which had the soup!!!

PC

PS - where was Hincapie?