Sun 15th Feb - Reliability No 3 - Sinclair Street

KennyS

Reliability No 3 - Sinclair Street

The route is on the following link http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /470500325

We are planning for three groups leaving from the Clubrooms promptly

9:00 - Thirty Milers and newcomers

9:30 - Laughing Group / Usual crowd

10:00 - Race squad and those who fancy their chances against Jim D ;-)

Soup, tea, coffee etc back at the clubrooms after the run.

Do we have a volunteer for making the soup?

Can we have a volunteer for heating the soup?

This generally means being back at the club rooms half an hour before the first bunch to get the soup on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Daly

Kenny S,

Unless ice is a factor, may I suggest modifying the route?

At Loch Lomond:

Use Cycle Path from Arden Roundabout.

Turn Left onto Old Luss Road, passing Duck Bay.

Use cycle path uphill alongside main road.

Turn left back onto Old Luss Road.

Kenny C,

Extend your lie-in and meet the 10am bunch North of the Erskine Bridge at 10:35 :grin:

Cheers

Jim

I would second Jim's comments about the change of route however I would go further due to current roadworks on the route as listed below:

1. Roadworks in centre of Cardross with 1 lane shut and traffic lights in place

2. Roadworks between Cardross and Helensburgh (at the highest point) with 1 lane shut and traffic lights in place

4. Roadworks in centre of Helensburgh at Tesco garage to cross traffic lights (road closed)

3. Roadworks on road between top of Sinclair Street and R/bout at end of old Glen Fruin Road

The road through and beyond Cardross is quite narrow and traffic travels along it at a high pace. A large group of cyclists may present a problem to a concentrated volume of traffic if caught at red lights. This section may be better rode in single file in smaller groups (up to four with a split created to allow traffic to cut in if required).

The works in the centre of Helensburgh have shut the road however temptation may be there to cut through. Under no circumstances would I advise this as having tried this twice myself I have punctured both times. FOLLOW THE DIVERSION. You have been warned.

The roaworks at the top of Sinclair Street are again on a narrow high paced section of road. My usual proposal would be to take the cycle path alongside this section of road however it currently has a layer of frozen snow along most of it. A better idea might be to continue through Rhu, past the peace camp at Faslane and turn right onto old Glen Fruin road (a steep climb to start with but traffic free and mostly clear of snow/ice).

Hope this has not been too long winded but I thought it better to warn everybody.

Cheers

Colin.

PS if I'am out it will be with the 0930 group. Have spent all week suffering as a result of pushing too hard to keep up with messers Daly and Mulholland while carring a heavy cold last week.

as i'm houston based i'm gonna head straight onto georgetown rd at 9.15 to hopefully meet anyone out in the 9am bunch.

if i dont i'm sure i'll be caught by the half 9 bunch, then the 10 bunch, then the old guy from across the road...... :-(

look out for a laurel and hardy style twosome (oooh err missus !!) as i'll be with my mate big dave :lol:

cu you all back at clubrooms for soup.

al.