2016 Alps/Pyrenees

al yuille

Looks like there is an appetite for the big Tour climbs next year - Billy can hardly wait. I guess most people will be 3\4 days as usual but a week would be nice. If we got organised early then we might avoid the trains, planes, automobiles ( and taxis ) LBL scenario.

Should go with someone who can do access, transfers, catering etc. Might look more expensive but an all in price up front lets everyone know whats involved.

Prob want to be in the Maurienne for the Alps or Luchon for the Pyrenees. Late June at the earliest I guess or could go as late as September. Plenty of time for someone to organise !

http://www.cyclingascents.com/bedandbreakfast.html#.Vbl1uXir1AY

http://bikelodging.com/chalet/allemont-vaujany/vaujany-catered-chalet

http://www.alpinecadence.com/accommodation.php

http://www.villaportillon.com/Summer%20Rates.htm

• 2024 Subscriptions

I'd definitely be up for a French trip. Preferably later - August/September.

We can take further soundings on the night out. A good base in the Pyrenees is Argeles Gashosht (sp) near Tarbes.

Bourg d'oisin is a very good, but busy place for the the Alps.

Another possibility would be to do a light tour- a sort of modified 'raid Pyrenees ' . With this you travel v light and ride out of the airport and start the tour, staying hostels and b-+ bs. Just a thought....

• 2023 Subscriptions

I would be up for either, I stayed in La Chambre, which is at the foot of the Col du Glandon and Col de la Madeleine withing 50km of most of the Classic climbs. Accommodation was cheap they had nice cabins in the campsite I stayed in http://www.campingleboisjoli.com/fr/index.aspx

But would be happy with Pyrenees as not been

• 2023 Subscriptions

On route back from LBL me, couts, tom H and al yuille, had discussed a touring styled ride. But to keep it fun with the good bikes, by chipping in for a driver.

A friend/ relative whos sole job is to drive with bags and be a broom wagon, the cyclists collectively pay for their trip and they drive for us.

This sort of trip in interested in, if I went I would opt for late summer too. But ill be a late entry if any.

Greg

Stayed here

http://pyreneescyclinglodge.com

when I was in the Pyrenees. Tourmalet/Luz Ardiden etc within 20km. Situated about 20miles from Lourdes in the Argelès-Gazost region that Darryl mentioned.

Ran by an Irish couple. Pick up/drop of from the airport. Paddy can act as a guide but we didn't get lost.

Only sleeps 14 so might be lucky to get everyone in depending who goes.

As for the Alps. Rented a gite through Gites de France and stayed in Allemont which is 6 miles from Bourg d'Oisans at the base of the Glandon. Drove all the way which was a mission but it's about 40km from Grenoble.

The Alps/Pyrenees would be fun - clearly I'll take the cable car to the bottom of each climb!!!. Personally not time constrained as to when but would wish to avoid school holidays. Usual week for me. If this is the consensus for next year then either a single centre with daily rides in various directions is one option or a point to point is the alternative. I'm not bothered either way.

Single centre does however negate the need for multiple hostelries offering multiple berths, which might prove challenging depending on overall numbers. Makes booking far easier and allows for staggered arrivals/departures depending on individuals' priorities or requirements. If we go for the point to point option then I suggest we agree early doors this is the option we are taking and stick to it. Agree a draft route, broad numbers and likely budget for accommodation and task someone(possibly 2) with coming up with reasonable options - I don't mind slumming it so long as there is food, a hot shower and a bed at the end of each day and I don't have to think too much about these or negotiate/haggle over them. The usual headless chicken approach we adopt for trips plays havoc with my OCD and need for structure and detail.

Happy to do the whole pannier thing or as Greg suggests hire van and driver, to deal with the logistics. Food for thought. 

Guys

Just to check that you all want to go up hills for two hours come back down very quickly only to do it again you are all mad

I have done some TDF climbs and as a result not in any particular hurry to do more

Might pop along just to laugh at you all once your back starts screaming at you

• 2023 Subscriptions

Bulky Billy, you are a true flandrian.

Can you not hear the flandrian bagpipes calling you home?

Some of these guys struggle to get up the Haylie.

They'll never make it up these alpine climbs.

I laugh in your general direction.

HahHahahahahahahHahahahahahahaha

Count me in! As carlton kirby always says: "the difference between the alps and the pyrenees is, you're never far away from a sandwich in the pyrenees" given my history of slow painful deaths (to be added to this weekend im sure) a sarnie and a pint every 5km sounds good! Just kidding, would love either!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Al was doing a but of checking myself for 2016. Easyjet set flight Edinburgh- Lyon, departing sat back wed. 2.5 hours drive to Monte ventoux, to do that on Sunday. 2 hour drive back to alp deux huez on Mon or Tue, then flight back on Wed. Flight times are ok, just need a base in France. Just chucking it out there.....

Looks fab Paul. I had seen this elsewhere previously but couldn't find the source again. I'd definitely be up for this as part of a week's tour in the same vein as the NC. A return to Italy - what's not to like and with it being June plenty of time to prep. Definitely a real option, well done that man.

M

I know its early Ladies and Gents but some firm indication as to the preferred trip might be good even now. A general consensus would allow us to perhaps appoint a billeting officer and transportation officer to investigate options and report back with indicative costs and the potential for group discounts if possible.

Subject to securing the necessary passes and annual leave chit I would voting for Italy.

M

Easy jet fly Edinburgh Milan Jet two fly Glasgow to Venice one other flys to Verona all these charge for bikes BA via London £223 includes bags

Easy jet jet2 Ryan air don't publish their schedule that far in advance so you won't know until November for them