Arran ( just a little mention)

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Team JWCC

The doctor said it was ok for me to think about Arran one or two days a week. So I did.

ToDAy I thought it would be splendid to extend the Arran challenge a little further. We have the SA(single Arran) the SS (solo single), the 56 +50 and the DA (mythical and immortal DA).

Clearly that is not enough. So we need to add the WSA (winter single Arran). To qualify it requires that you must do it during the winter ferry timetable (Oct to March) and it must be on your recognised winter bike with muddies.

That may well lead to a WSS (winter solo single) etc.

Just sayin like.

But I would be up for this one SaturDAy if the weather looked benign.

Ohyadancer!

Ohyadancer!

:)

• 1 month later...
  • Committee

Anyway, the few times I've been out with the Saturday bunch almost everyone but me is riding a full-on carbon race axe with a set of biro-sized muddies.

WSA will be a very severe test of strength and ethics. Any claims will need supported by photos. I suggest that no carbon frames or clip-on muddies are permitted. Only metal frames and fully fitted guards. And lights:-)

• Committee

Actually I've just realised that this thread is merely another excuse for Paul to head off for the Ardrossan CalMac terminal regardless of the day/month/year.

He doesn't really care about WSA, he just wants to disembark at Brodick and keep riding round Arran, preferably in a six person paceline, forever. (Four's not really enough and eight gets a bit ragged).

• 2023 Subscriptions

Winter Solo Single 

Where do I begin.

Last night I was visualising my moment of glory on the Hall of fame.

Arrived on Arran this morning with nothing but positive vibes, winter bike metal frame full muddies rear light but chose to ditch the front to go for the title. Set off on a steady pace and feeling good, weather was meant to be sunny but still foggy.

Half way round, 5 minutes behind the summer pace, first negative thought creeps in but crack on.

36 miles, 2 hours dead, means 20 miles in 45ish minutes, games a bogey but again I'll crack on. 

Got to the top of Lochranza climb with 30 minutes until the ferry leaves, bottle empty and a wee packet of wiggle haribo, I can make it, I've lost my minerals!

Rode as hard as I could, really really  struggling by this point, missed the boat by 5 minutes.

I'm writing this still on Arran, next boat is 2hrs 40 minutes later, ouch!

On the plus side I don't think I'll have a harder training ride this winter, rode in  Z4 for 1hr 2min and Z5 for 1 hr 52min!

Anyone who completes the Winter Solo is a strong man!

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions
18 hours ago, robster82 said:

Winter Solo Single 

Where do I begin.

Last night I was visualising my moment of glory on the Hall of fame.

Arrived on Arran this morning with nothing but positive vibes, winter bike metal frame full muddies rear light but chose to ditch the front to go for the title. Set off on a steady pace and feeling good, weather was meant to be sunny but still foggy.

Half way round, 5 minutes behind the summer pace, first negative thought creeps in but crack on.

36 miles, 2 hours dead, means 20 miles in 45ish minutes, games a bogey but again I'll crack on. 

Got to the top of Lochranza climb with 30 minutes until the ferry leaves, bottle empty and a wee packet of wiggle haribo, I can make it, I've lost my minerals!

Rode as hard as I could, really really  struggling by this point, missed the boat by 5 minutes.

I'm writing this still on Arran, next boat is 2hrs 40 minutes later, ouch!

On the plus side I don't think I'll have a harder training ride this winter, rode in  Z4 for 1hr 2min and Z5 for 1 hr 52min!

Anyone who completes the Winter Solo is a strong man!

Cheers

I had planned a solo attempt the previous Friday. Weather forecast was Paisley dry,  Arran wet, and most of all I did think it was a 50/50 chance I'd miss the ferry.  Anyhow I'd love to have been able to replicate your post. Awesome. Almost better that you failed. Totally hard. Totally proves how hard the SA and DA are. Kudos cubed.