Milan San Remo 2018

XXX

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi

Could we stay on topic this is to see who would like to do this in 2018

It's 297 km long it will likely be on the first week of June

What I would like is who is interested and how long a trip you would like , thinking we may get some sort of discount , for transport .

Flight out to Milan

Return Nice

Please don't be arses and post the normal crap, just post if you are interested and I will start getting castings for the trip

I'd be up for the usual 5 day trip, if annual leave permits. Would probably prefer a few days in country to mess about on the bike before the event and fly home with shredded legs, rather than have days to kill after the event. Tend to find after the event any notion of pedalling anywhere has gone. 

I assume the plan would be to overnight in the San Remo area and arrange for bags etc., to be transported on from Milan by some means. Single courier service between hotels might need some thought. Logistically head scratch this one. 3 hours by train any one?!! I'm sure we'll work something out. Double hotel bookings also. A sportive package deal for MSR might be a thought, if they exist. Just my musings at the moment.

Rob, the big route in one day I believe is Billy's intention - don't dare miss the ferry or you'll have to do it again!!

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm interested, but if I go I'll be last

Minutr addition. 4 days would be good, but cheap.

It's a bunch of guys riding bikes and drinking beer, posh hotels are NOT needed. Hostel or any other sort of cheap hotel/apartment, I say! Cheap all the way....

Just my tuppence worth....

Have to agree with Greg. Cycling and jwcc should be for all, not just for the middle aged and middle class. It's bad that cycling has become the new golf, no need for jwcc to become one of those elitist type clubs. There's something romantic about the blood sweat and tears of nailing yourself on the bike, whether it be on mid week training runs, long hard Hilly club runs, challenging sportives or racing. It would be amazing to also do this abroad, pricing out fellow club m8s to amble around the country side to then retire to a king size duck feather duvet just seems wrong :( ... treat the wife/boyfriend whomever if that's your bag... hard days cycling, enjoy the beer, somewhere to rest the head, simple.

I'm laying it on a bit thick ;) but you get the point :)

• 2024 Subscriptions

Count me in. Agree with all above as the views expressed are consistent with each other, except Gregg's desire for a hostel. I have nothing against hostels btw. You can get lovely hostels as well as shitty ones, just the same with hotels.

But, reasonably priced hotels are as inclusive as it gets, and that's fine by me.

Ditto the reasonably priced hotels approach and no hostels - it might be a bunch of blokes riding bikes and drinking beer but roughing it for the sake of roughing is a no thank you from me. Our Liege digs were a bit good and admittedly quite enjoyable but something along the lines of the Hotel du Soleil or the Duva will do fine. Both ticked all the boxes and I don't think they were overly pricey either. 

I can see big Alan's point of view, I don't think middles would choose to have their club mates priced out of a foreign trip (the elitist former golfers probably would as they have no shame), but at the same time I don't think I'm prepared to completely slum it for 5 days out of my thread bare annual leave entitlement. I propose, second and vote for the usual random, dis-organised and petulantly argued over compromise.

Agree with Alex - numbers first, then consider hotel options with group discounts being sought, then transport and transfers. 

Can we get a new overseas/Italian adventure jersey. The Novo Colli jerseys still get commented on when worn

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

flights are about 120 plus bike 60 so £180 might be worth investigating BA , other options are to go out a couple of days earlier stay at Como do some passes then stay in Milan night before .

You can get bus transfer back to Milan on the Monday 0830

Not sure the practicalities of a bus transfer back to Milan the day after would work. To my mind you'll need the basics of an overnight stay - change of clothes, toiletries as a bare minimum. That'll mean either carrying this kit on the ride itself - probably a non starter idea, or arranging the transfer of some minimal kit. In my opinion if you are transferring any kit at all, you may as well transfer everything and not have to return to Milan, thus leaving at least a day in and around San Remo.  

I do like the idea of spending some time around the Lake Como area - never been there, but it looks good on the TV. I think we should be aiming at keeping the number of hotels and actual transfers of kit and bodies to the minimum, as this will

1. reduce the need to hunt down and secure additional accommodation to begin with,

2. remove the chaos and hassle of packing up and unpacking (including dismantling bikes potentially), and

3. means more time on the bikes.

Not rubbishing any suggestions but merely flagging up things for consideration. Might be worth looking at options for a transfer into Milan in the morning of the event - bit like the buses to the start line at Paris-Roubaix. Say a mini bus for 12 plus trailer for bikes?? and using Paul L's suggestion of a bike box and kit transfer to San Remo by sportive package organisers. Perhaps we could sort out the Milan transfer with them in advance also. 

• Members

up for this and 3-4 days suits me for annual holiday entitlement. Not bothered where we stay and I'll go with majority travel plans. After organising this years Majorcan adventure I'll go with what majority agrees.... Doing Lake Como this August, so will recce bikes shops, routes, etc. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Flying to Milan and traveling to Lake Como seems abit of extra work as we need to get back to Milan.

I like the idea of flying into Milan getting to Hotel unpacking bike and gear for ride and getting Sportive guys to pick up my Bike box full of my stuff. Next day do ride and get to hotel in San Remo, 2-3 days around San remo cycling and eating/drinking, train/bus to airport from san remo when we decide to go home.

Again Just my idea but happy to go with majority

Cheers