DA17

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Team, here I go again !?

Its always good to have a challenge in mind so just floating a thought. We have a strong team tomorrow and looks like ideal weather. Should we think about going for a single record time (distinct risk it blows apart a bit), should the priority be to ride as a team and make sure the 2 newbies get into tha Hall of Fame (Jesse and Marc) and get their appetite whetted for a double later on :) Should we even consdier a DA? (the complication is no intermediate ferries start till next week so if you just miss out on the 1355 return for the DA then next ferry is at 1640, not back in Ardrossan till 1740. I cannot be home that late tomorrow but would be prepared to flog it for lap 1 if others were up for a double. For discussion on boat but good to have a plan.

My thought is we ride at SA pace till top of Lochranza climb as a team then batter it last 12 miles to ferry.

Just for info the return ferry for the single is 1105 back in Ardrossan 1200. Home just after 1300.

Or 1355 return back in Ardrossan at 1450, if some extra miles and climbs desired. This of course is also the target ferry for the DA.

• 2023 Subscriptions

It just gets better. A brisk single this morning for 5 and a new inductee to the Hall of Fame. Before that though, Jesse unfortunately took a shaky spell about 5 miles in and had to return to Brodick. Jan was a consummate gent and ensured she got back into a cafe to wait for the boat, thus giving up his chances of a single, fortunately he has quite a few SA's and a 56-50 of course.

Upon continuing, Andy was a tad off the pace at Blackwaterfoot as we had to increase speed a bit to make up time. Up the West coast Alex had same fate and momentarily and lost the wheel. However he then rode round the second half part with Andy and part on his own to bag an SA. Well done indeed.

That left 4 to ride round and record a pretty brisk SA, I think we stacked out p3-6 on Strava even after the minor delays. So that was Rookie Marc, 2 vets from the first ever SA, myself and Alan McL, and Lochranza climb leader Robbie. Well done chaps.

Ride of the day was Alex making the SA after losing the wheel.

Absolute gent of the day - Jan, who had been over the String and back by the time we got back to ferry,

Unfortunate of the day with health issue, Jesse

And sheer determination was Andy who also rode on round the full loop.

Arran for Adventures :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just to confirm got SA confirmed by ticket collector. Total nightmare ride South Island and thanks to the fine gentlemen of the JWCC for patience, pacing and support. Jan and I went over string to the Velo cafe then over Ross back to Brodick then up the Lochranza climb and back down. An additional 54 miles for the afternoon.

Andy

Ticket collector is judge and jury! I can remember when Jan and I were ahead and hammered up to collector to check we could still get on the ferry. Aye, no bother. Cheers! And we turned round and went back to the junction. Over the next five minutes another four JWCC arrived individually and asked him the same thing. All turned round and headed back to Brodick. The guy must have wondered what we were taking!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Congratulations everyone. Fast time. Billy needs to have you do more threshold work to peg me in the 2 minutes you're down. And I still want the strava KoM back... be tough on a Double Arran... 2hrs 36mins required. Should probably go for it on the first lap :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Can confirm Andy managed the single. 

Afternoon was really nice and the sun came out. The new cycling cafe is pretty good too.

Had 3 hill intervals in amongst the 90 miles, pretty pleased with the results and the impact a bit of weight loss of the winter has made. Still a fat expletive deleted though so a long way to go.