DA17

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Robbie - entirely up to you, there is no right and wrong answer here. I am fine either way - I am here to serve !

FWIW - here are my thoughts - the great Sean Kelly was a believer in going very deep 3-4 days before a target event. As in 8 hours the Wednesday before San Remo of flogging yourself to bits. Body then over compensates and you hit the target day on a high. However it is risky as body may get ill instead of over compensating. My personal view is you have to be 100% mentally committed, you have the physical ability but you absolutely need to be certain you are going for it and ready for whatever pain it brings, won't happen otherwise !

Dont know if that helped ?!

We could always go for a no pressure run anyway and if we happen to do lap one in 2h45m then see where the road takes us .....

• 2023 Subscriptions

Robbie,

I remember reading Russell Downing saying that the week before a race he would do a similar distance ride and completely bury himself, even ride harder than race effort, and swore it got him in the best shape for the race....

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Folks

FWIW, my thoughts: there is no point taking Sean Kelly or Russ Downing as role models, simply because they were pro riders, with the time, motivation and physique to train like that. we are at best weekend warriors. You should listen to your body, and will have an idea how long it takes you to recover from a big effort. I find in my case it takes much longer the older I get.

Having said that, Robbie, you will have from Sat to the following Sunday to recover. I am riding the Drumlanrig on Sat and I plan to ride hard then. I think you should be fine!

• Committee

Six or seven regulars would have been hard but doable. But now this is down to the wire and is nail-biting stuff. Would you be prepared to temporarily share your location on Saturday through "find my friends" or similar app? That way we can track your glorious progress.

I will be sweating round the Kinross sportive in a much more comfortable 7 hours or so but would like to see your squad eat up the miles if I can. Alan

Paul - Sorry but I'm gonna have to take a rain check on this at this stage. Have a persistent issue with rear hub and I'm waiting for a replacement and don't feel well enough prepared yet for the double which I would like to achieve perhaps later on the season. Also birthdays etc this weekend so I've not entered the May Day gallop this weekend either. Best of luck

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ok team, wise decision I think.

Paul, I'm thinking of doing a decent run on Friday now so I'll keep an eye on Plan B, if legs allow I will join you for part of it, might as well watch the Fitbaw if the Holy Grail is not being pursued.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I've got Ingliston Crit race on Tuesday... Does that fit in with burying oneself 3-4 days before?

I think saving legs is for best and happy to help with a single. Or put the DA back a bit?

I'm planning ingliston also and am up for lap 2. That said I did fullartons Crit this evening and ended up in scratch group with Ian A. I feel like I've been brutalised by the bison!

That said I'd be up for an Ayrshire Alps if consensus is moving towards an alternative ride.

I'm still trying to remove the image of Andy being brutalised by the bison... Shudder!

How did it go Andy? (The Crit not the intimate details of you being brutalised by the bison)

Ayrshire Alps sounds interesting and would be up for this too.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm still trying to remove the image of Andy being brutalised by the bison... Shudder!

How did it go Andy? (The Crit not the intimate details of you being brutalised by the bison)

Ayrshire Alps sounds interesting and would be up for this too.

Sorry about that Alex. Images aside Irvine Crit is short - 3 laps of a 5.something mile circuit. Very friendly mixed Bunch who meet outside Menzies Hotel on marine drive in Irvine. Usually 3 groups. Scratch group is small around 5/6 guys and feels fast from the get go at an average of 24-25mph. I did middle group last week and average was 23.5. That felt fine for me and I probably did a very good portion of the effort. In the scratch group I was hanging on by a thread on laps 2 and 3. Once the catch is made atriums 2.5 laps then there are 2/3 guys who are pretty fast. For me the last 1/2 mile the lights were definitely going dim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

DA DAredevils

Knowing that people have lots of commits over the next couple of months I thought I would put two DAtes out there for a potential DA, to see if there were enough bodies are willing to commit their physical beings and sanity into this mighty endeavour,

Sat 27th May and Sat 24th June are the only two I can do in next couple of months. I am reADy to start mental preparation for this mental challenge, are you? 

Ohyadancer!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Was over in Arran earlier today and there were  signs for road works starting on the 15th May near Corrie with the road being closed for an hour each day - it didnt however mention what hour this would be. Could play havok if still ungoing on the 27th so perhaps 24th June is better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

I have 2 things to upDAte about the magnifico island of Arran.

1) It has come to my attention that Jan McTavish recently did an SA on his toddle. So that would be a single single. I think Ian Archibald has done same. So when the Hall of Fame is upDAted this year I think there will be a new category of SS to join SA, 56+50 and The Mythical DA. I sense your excitement...

2) Even more exciting is the prospect of setting a DAte for the next assault on the DA, I was thinking of trying to climb the north face of the Eiger in flippers and a diving suit, but that would be too easy. So who might be on for Saturday 24th June to have a smash at Scotland's very own monument.

Ohyadancer!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Bump

Only 23 DAys to DA DAy. I will post on a frequent basis to remind everyone of a golden opportunity to use their form to,

1) ride Scotland's summer monument

2) get immortality

3) get an entry in the Hall of Fame