Zwift JWCC Discussion

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

This is a bit left field but what is we could make turbo evenings into a winter World Cup series?

It happens elsewhere. I was speaking to a chap from the fullartons and they run such an event. It is extremely popular

http://www.fullartonwheelers.com/club_nights.php

We could contact them for a wee visit and put together some costings with a proposal for a club investment?

As I said, left field but may be worth some consideration?

Andy

Quite an outlay indeed. The kit FWCC are using, at £900 a pop plus an additional £240 for the ability to race friends, is pretty steep. Do you know if there was any external funding?

I know of at least 6 JWCC that are on Zwift (there's bound to be more) with smart turbos at £180 (plus £8 per month Zwift fee) and the ability to meet up online from anywhere a JWCC league night could also be set up. I'd defer to techno wiz Paul Leavy to understand more about it.

Not best to ambush Billy's Monday night turbo post with this though (I doubt he'll mind, but you never know!) If agreeable I could shift Andy's, Darryl and my post into a seperate one to understand who we have that might be up for this.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I love the idea of a JWVC zwift night. All u need is a smart turbo or a normal turbo and a power meter. In the next few weeks it should be available in ipad so u dont even need a computer.

There are races organised most nights on zwift with hundreds of competitors around the world. Very easy to set up our own races.

Happy to help anyone with tech issues.

"Zwift is a massively multiplayer online game, so you'll need a high-speed Internet connection to play" (from the website) I assume that includes WiFi? ( e.g. I'm on Virgin with 50Mb broadband)

Re:rollers & power meter, seems to depend on the make of both (check on Zwift website) here's the link:

http://zwift.com/get-started#ready

You don't need a smart turbo for zwift -  either an ant + power meter or a garmin speed / cadence sensor so that it can work out your virtual power. You also need an ant + dongle so that the laptop receives the signal form your power meter / speed / cadence sensor and preferrably an extension usb cable as dropouts can occur when not in range of the dongle. Zwift does not use the power reading from your trainer so a very basic turbo can get you going !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Darryl, I think you need to have a turbo that Zwift knows the the power curve to do the virtual power thing. The Zwift site lists these turbos. I think, but no expert, that the alternative Colin is saying is that you need to have a power meter and laptop to take part if you do not have a 'recognised' turbo.

:)

• 2 months later...

Howdy. While I'm waiting for Paul L to reply to my text...I've got myself a smart trainer...has B+ and FEC I believe.

As of today, Zwift are now on iOS so I can use my iPad.

So...any pointers on set up to make it go smoothly?

Do I need to connect my garmin to the trainer or Zwift or both?

Do I need the garmin sensors etc if my trainer is 'smart'?

Cheers :)

Richie you can use just your trainer as it will handle speed, power and resistance. A cadence sensor and heart rate monitor would be very useful, but these are generally Ant+ rather than bluetooth. You could get an Ant+ to bluetooth convertor perhaps?

And no, you don't need your Garmin.