Rothesay weekend

Alan Michael

• 2023 Subscriptions

For some inexplicable reason me and Couttie put in group 3 with the likes of Paul McDonald so did not bode well. I hung on for a bit beyond Mount Stuart then got pumped. Next group caught up. Stayed with them for about 6 miles then got pumped. Thought of quitting at Port Bsnnatybe but decided to carry on as could see single riders ahead of me. Passed a couple and then passed Janet Erskine of Ayr who decided to take a tow. She was very grateful as we passed 2 of her competitors and dropped them. We past a couple of more riders but despite my decency of towing her round half the course she tried in vain I should say to take me on the line.

I was a bit disappointed as every year I have been in group 1. Any way season done and looking forward to leisurely rides.

• 2023 Subscriptions

The music was provided by Wet Wet Wet. I felt the rain I my fingers and I felt the rain in my toes. But Love was all around.. Ok enough of that.

5 groups, James and Colin in group 2, me, Chas and Couttie in group 3. I really enjoyed the late season bash. We stayed away from groups 4 and 5 and passed many in groups 1 and 2. However we did not get to the front of the race where Colin and James were. There were 6 of us left after the final drag. One guy got away and the rest of us had a spirited wee group sprint. I don't know whether I won this or was second as the spray was so much I could not quite see the line !

From what I can gather we were sprinting for about 12th or 15th place. Meantime up front Colin took a splendid 5th place :)

Always a grand way to end the season and sharpen the legs for the winter worlds.

:)

Group 2 was very pedestrian and apart from a couple of nightingales and John from Paisley Velo there was very little sharing of work after the Mount Stuart drag. Took a bit of responsibility for livening things up a bit (not a lot though) but no one was interested. Kept trying to get back markers to come through but no interest. However we were managing somehow to stay away. Upon reaching the top of the Mount Stuart climb on the way back it was still only about 4 of us working but on the run in suddenly there was about 5 or 6 guys who I'd not seen all day coming through. A couple of youngsters opened up a bit of a gap which was brought back but on the third effort I could not quite get past and took about 5th place.