Chain gang 21/4 6.10 depart

charlie p

Plain to see what i've been missing clearly! Thanks for the baptism of fire everyone....not sure my legs enjoyed that but there's only one way to get back into things. Sorry I couldn't let anyone know I had fallen away again....going to be a few weeks before I'm up to speed I suspect. Hopefully catch up with everyone on Sunday :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just thought I would post some bunch rules.

One flick of elbow = would you kindly come through

Two flicks = be a good fellow and take a spell

Three = hurry the #### up I am burst and if don't come through ###### you all I am sitting up

Just thought I would remind you all except the boys we could have caught if we worked

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cracking night tonight, fastest we've ever been along the west ferry :)

btw who was 1st and 2nd in the intermediate sprint?

Plain to see what i've been missing clearly! Thanks for the baptism of fire everyone....not sure my legs enjoyed that but there's only one way to get back into things. Sorry I couldn't let anyone know I had fallen away again....going to be a few weeks before I'm up to speed I suspect. Hopefully catch up with everyone on Sunday :)

We've all been there at one time or another!

• 2023 Subscriptions

post-3959-0-99586100-1461268621_thumb.jpg  post-3959-0-32467800-1461267572_thumb.jpg

Starting to get complicated, if ive missed anyone out then sorry.

To level things up a little how about next week APR rules? Chaingang together as normal, no points for the Clune (or the intermediate sprint). From the top those with more than 10 points have to give the others a minute head start. If the first group stays away then 5 bonus points to everyone that stays away plus the 6,4,2 for the finish. If a catch is made then just the 6,4 and 2 for the sprint.  Of course if no-one thinks this is a good idea then can just do it as normal!

Like the change Iain, though there are only 4 with more than 10 points. That'll be fun in a brutal, twisted, Alan sort of way! But as his comment, this is a training run. What if the waiting group catches the other group? 5 bonus points then too surely!

Great run tonight though, gutted to pull off at the Houston roundabout and miss the fun at the end. Not only did I make my starter but caught two rounds before dinner too!

Hard to see the elbow flicks when you were behind me ;)

Rule change; Does that mean no more points or is it just for a week? If so how can people get promoted? I'm planning to join second group anyway with 2 points, REBEL!!!!!

Last night was great!

Most of us top tenned parts of the westferry!

Clune took care of itself.

After the intermediate sprint, I co-ordinated a break away of four, which turned into 3 when I decided I no longer wanted to be part of it!

Tried to start a chase back with Billy pulling us along the whole Georgetown ;)

Looking forward to next week!

I'm following the points thingy with interest (admittedly from afar - just doesn't work for me where I am living tbh), and Iain top marks for generating some sport on a Thursday - the APR idea is brilliant now that a pecking order appears to be emerging.

I still think this ride is all about the Clune. Most can hang in/on on the flat, take a wheel and draft for a bit before attacking the group or at least minimise time gaps but not all can do the solo 'inside your own head' effort of a climb and then kick on after a vertical effort. (I say that with the greatest respect all round as a positive critique).  

If it's a training ride as Alan McB suggests then more points should be up for grabs for the Clune to encourage weaker climbers to work on this aspect and grab points from their nearest rivals in terms of ability, rather than merely 'ride' the hill, or as Judas indicates let the Clune take care of itself. It also gives the mountain goats a chance to stick it to the sprinters and rolleurs knowing that their efforts are worth something and they are not merely Georgetown fodder.  Probably easier to place riders coming into the layby than spot who finished where in the sprint.

Dunno about cranking the pace up from the Smiddy (dunno what pace was being set). I can understand Alan's enthusiasm to rip it, but there is a danger of that the skills element could be lost and the cagey cat and mouse stuff sets in before you start or the whole thing explodes and guys would be better off riding solo. For the chain gang section along the West Ferry, while still a work out, this should in my view be about the group working as a group before the sport up the Clune and the run for the Georgetown begins - think a break in a race and everyone in the break working to maintain the gap. No point dropping the hammer 20 miles from home to find oneself riding solo. Ideally, tho perhaps unlikely to happen, the goal should be about letting weaker/new riders learn/develop to an extent every week and ultimately having everyone together as a coherent group at the bottom of the Clune a la team time trial.......or has the emphasis changed?

Just my observations on what looks like on the whole a right blast. Happy to have my spectator's comments shot down of course.

M

My thinking is soft pedal from Houston to red smiddy (as it is) then step it up with through and off (not attack or go mental) it'll get the legs warmed up for the harder effort of the west ferry and won't be as much of a shock to the system. Just a thought :) really what I'd like is to go full gas until I pop, then you know you've left it all on the road and you should get faster next time but I suppose the renfrew bunch is the place for that, but you don't get points with the renfrew bunch :(

• 2023 Subscriptions

Haven't been out for a bit but reserve the right to annoy people from afar.

I thought the ride was fine the way it was before the points competition started but there's no harm in a bit of friendly competition.

Mark, your idea about the mountain goats having their fun against the sprinters is fine in theory but over the last couple of years the guys who are fastest up the clune tend to be the same guys who are fastest on the flat as well- Alan McB, Alex, Paul McD, Jan, are strong enough to give everyone a spanking on up/down/flat/sprinty bits.

Alan, good idea. yes we could go through and off from the smiddy so long as anyone who gets pinged off is waited on at top of bishy hill  as it's a long way to ride on your own.

Think I'll have to come back out to restore decorum and crush any free thinking.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I don't mind what we do, think we should start on the smiddy but gentle warming up for west ferry re APR if some do t work in the chased group could lead to some frustration , but don't mind either way