Cassette issue

Richie Cross

Hi folks, remember me? :)

So....I've eventually got round to putting my bike back together after Liege!!!

For those that don't know, my new Shamals that I had in Belgium were losing some of the black brake track pretty quickly so they were replaced when I came back.

Today I put on my Campag cassette that I had on the wheels before I went away.

I followed the Campag diagram and tightened the lockring....not too tight, not too loose.

When I then spin the wheel and hold onto the skewer, I get a vibration feeling through the cassette.
If I put my fingers on the cassette so only the wheel is spinning, I can feel the cassette vibrating back and forth....if that makes sense?

I've had Campag wheels for years and this is a first. The first set of Shamals were fine. Don't believe there's a pre load thingy to do either.

Any ideas or next stop Thomsons?

Cheers

Richie could be as not much can be wrong is it 10 or 11 speed go on campag tech help web site other than that you will be able to move the cassette when not lock onto bike as the free hub will move a bit

• Members

Richie, is the cassette oscillating in a floaty, wobbly sort of way when you freewheel?

I see this all the time with Shimano cassettes on my winter bike (which is built with the cheapest parts money can buy.) It's my understanding this happens because freehubs/hubs are not manufactured to tolerances where they're perfectly aligned.

If this is what you're seeing with your wheel, if there's no actual play in the cassette, and if you've double-checked the spacers are in the right place, I suspect there's nothing actually wrong with it and it won't affect the way it works.

Don't truly understand but from memory the exact location of spacers should not make too much of a difference - you will still get a compression fit when you tighten lock ring i.e. the individual parts won't be free to move up and down the splines if all parts are in place.

Fit it and ride it, if you have mucked up the spacers you will have mucked up your shifting. If it shifts fine and doesn't clank and grind you are fine - bearing issues (vibration) will also become apparent quickly.

Stop worrying......

On another note after fitting an Ultegra gruppo - no instructions, daft tools or work arounds required - I would never go back to Campag stuff, better quality and simpler solutions to what remains, despite what the manufacturers claim, simple concepts. Impressed so far.

You need a daft tool to pree load the cranks DB so don't lie

Ultegra and above very good especially DI2 below not so good

Would still stick Chours and above on any bike first

• Life Members

Don't truly understand but from memory the exact location of spacers should not make too much of a difference - you will still get a compression fit when you tighten lock ring i.e. the individual parts won't be free to move up and down the splines if all parts are in place.

Fit it and ride it, if you have mucked up the spacers you will have mucked up your shifting. If it shifts fine and doesn't clank and grind you are fine - bearing issues (vibration) will also become apparent quickly.

Stop worrying......

On another note after fitting an Ultegra gruppo - no instructions, daft tools or work arounds required - I would never go back to Campag stuff, better quality and simpler solutions to what remains, despite what the manufacturers claim, simple concepts. Impressed so far.

Oh, no ................... Campag users are getting rarer & rarer ................ please think again Davie!  :-(

Cheers

Chung

Phone Chung!

Had similar luddite episode when fiting new cassette. Usual take everything off and lay it out and replace with new components in same order. Simple oversight on my part resuting in hours of 'what did I do wrong/miss out'.

Called Chung - Damascus moment as a result. Sorted.

Davie B converted to Shim!!!! must check local temperature in Hades just in case.

• Life Members

Cheers Mark, your cut on the commission will be in your bank account shortly :-)

I think Davie is pi**ed with Campag because they haven't bother to bring out any "disc brakes" yet for road bikes !?  :grin:

Billy - conceded; one daft wee thing which you stick a 8mm allen key into ....sack cloth and ashes on order, Amazon is great is it not?

To bring some sanity to the issue I have been dis-satisfied with campag for a while - quality issues, really poor maintainability on BB's, bodging together home made tools, lack of bargains come sales time, etc. However as I exist in the world of swapping over parts and hand me downs I was caught in a rare mental state I latterly christened "the campag cycle of doom". Snapping my LH shifter halfway through LBL was the final straw and released me from the cycle.

Seriously the stuff is p*sh.

Winter bike remains Campag (with Shim BB) - I have a lot of stuff to wear out but want to be able to maintain the BB without recourse to bearing pullers, drifts, hammers etc;

'Crosss bike runs SRAM - DIY single ring set-up with with clutched rear (mountain bike) mech necessitated it;

Road bike - Shim.

As for disc brakes on road bikes....

#Idemandthreadedbottombrackets;

#Idemandexternalcablerouting;

#lookslikemynexframeistiortwss;

#stopsolutionstoproblemsthatdon'texist.

Hades is melting I just appropriated #speak - no idea what the hell the # actually means but hey ho.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Recently bought Dura Ace shifters, ultegra front/rear mech and cassette. Swapped over from SRAM kit in about 3 hours. Literally worked first time and works brilliantly. The only issue was where exactly to position the brake hoods as they are a diffferent shape. Only criticism and it is a very personal one is the cassette ranges offered were not my cup of tea so I bought an 11-28 ( no 16 sprocket which for me just crosses the line) and some sprockets and spacers and made it into a 12 -28. :)

• Committee

Hi Ritchie

Does it seem to move left to right, across the axle or does it wobble back to front, radially? if it rattling left to right then spacer problem.

(Sorry if I have missed a solution somewhere in the thread)

how old are the wheels? could it be a worn freehub? when my cheap Shim freehub started to go it described a fanastic elliptical wobble.It was replaceable.

Or it could be something else. That's that cleared up then.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Campag all the way....

Bought a centaur groupset when vat was 15%.. So a wee while ago. It was cracking. It still is, I had to replace a few bits but I maintained it well and a full set of spares.

So I got another centaur groupo for 400 notes, quality groupo!

No bad mouth to shimano, I just like campag better, tidier onbthe handle bars. Nicer ergonomics on the levers and aesthetics , and its Italian!