Renfrew Winter Bunch

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

When we left Renfrew the bunch was 10 wheelers and jets! Were quickly joined by about 8 others. Puncture before Bishopton was quickly fixed. Heavy snow after Bishopton and was actually lying on the Westferry so we headed up clune in abandon mission mode. Second puncture near top and whilst fixing that one the snow eased a bit so we decided to rule 5 it. Lucia and Charlie headed back as Charlie's front tyre was looking very unreliable. Headed up spango and single lined it at a steady 24/25 mph to Largs. James, Andy G, me, Iain A and Robbie present in bunch, Jan and Alan had made a strategic decision to turn back at Greenock, someone was rude enough to suggest they brikked it :)

Jim and Lynsey joined us at Largs, James manly headed up Heely on his tod and Andy stayed in the single line train to his warm inviting house in W Kilbride. Thereafter it became a survival game with heavy snow after Ardrossan. Chapeau to Jim, Lynsey, Gregg, Scott, Richie, Robbie and Iain for making it to Barrhead. I was tail end Charlie (no pun intended m'lud) after Kilwinning drag due to lack of fitness.

One that will not be forgotten in a hurry.

• 2023 Subscriptions

A moment of weakness broke me - After the puncture stop going down Clune i got an 'ice cream headache' and my fingers were so cold i couldnt pull the brakes properly so decided it would be wise to chuck it. We headed up Barrs Brae and the wall and by the top of that i was roasting again! 

Alan would have soldiered on had i not been there.

When we left Renfrew the bunch was 10 wheelers and jets! Were quickly joined by about 8 others. Puncture before Bishopton was quickly fixed. Heavy snow after Bishopton and was actually lying on the Westferry so we headed up clune in abandon mission mode. Second puncture near top and whilst fixing that one the snow eased a bit so we decided to rule 5 it. Lucia and Charlie headed back as Charlie's front tyre was looking very unreliable. Headed up spango and single lined it at a steady 24/25 mph to Largs. James, Andy G, me, Iain A and Robbie present in bunch, Jan and Alan had made a strategic decision to turn back at Greenock, someone was rude enough to suggest they brikked it :)

Jim and Lynsey joined us at Largs, James manly headed up Heely on his tod and Andy stayed in the single line train to his warm inviting house in W Kilbride. Thereafter it became a survival game with heavy snow after Ardrossan. Chapeau to Jim, Lynsey, Gregg, Scott, Richie, Robbie and Iain for making it to Barrhead. I was tail end Charlie (no pun intended m'lud) after Kilwinning drag due to lack of fitness.

One that will not be forgotten in a hurry.

Lusia and Charlie safely back. They headed to the top of the Clune after the 2nd puncture stop but, seeing the snow, decided that discretion was the better part of valour and headed straight back down again and took the Old Greenock Road and the Gunpowder back to Bishopton.

Who said chivalry was dead, Lusia swapped wheels with Charlie to make sure he got back to Paisley and headed for home

Charlie made it home in time to get to Dooley's for purchase of new rubber

Tough morning. All I did was drive to Dunblane and back :-)