Renfrew Winter Bunch

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Should be dry tomorrow. Summer bike fine Alan but be prepared to be hung off front on Lochlibo road as punishment 😄

I'm out see you at the bogs. Unless you're tsking IT easy and joining at the red smiddy 😉

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alex, yes I'll be at roundabout 0950 and ride in to Bogs. Probably meet bunch about Inchinnan.

Alan, forecast is dry, but there is a possibility of a shower, and if it gets wet it would be a bit unpopular without mudguards. But of course you could sit at back where the roads are wet :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Much better size bunch about 20 today and a pretty fast pace all the way. Weather forecast of dry = haha.

If your name was Alan then today was your day. Both Alan's hanging tough with the bunch which was down to about 7 or 8 at Burnhouse after a hard Kilwinning drag. Alan McB looking very strong spelling through but I reckon Alan McL was hiding it under a bushel :)

Cannot report what happened after that as as it was a bad day at the office for me and I blew before Lugton, totally. And wee ringed home.

It can be a bit off putting when you have a day where you perform below normal, for those newer to this game all I would say is one of the truest quotes I ever heard was 'good days and bad days'. It just happens, don't go changing things dramatically etc.

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

As usual the Kilwinning drag got me. Looking at the strava segment for the climb i was about 50 seconds faster up it today than the start of the month (when i managed to get over it with the bunch) so at least im improving a bit. Unfortunately everyone else is improving more! 

Thanks to Colin for the wheel to follow along the Barrhead road, my legs were shot by Lugton.

Felt good today, though after a long spell on the front my legs were burning, when Jim and Mr Archibald came through at pace they dropped me, found myself in a bunch of 5 or so that quickly started to dwindle, ended up me Alan McLean and an extremely strong girl (not sure of her name) but we weren't catching them so I decided to try chase them down on my own (this nearly killed me ) managed to catch them (just) Then A Couple Of Wee Games By Jim To Try drop Me, Again, but I hung in and managed to take them both in the sprint. ☺ (I did have my summer bike though) as ian and Jim were quick to point out lol.

Good run today but tough. A split just before Adrossan had me pulling 35 to catch back on. Similar on the Kilwinning drag. Back of the bunch before I knew a split had happened. Managed to drag back onto the front bunch on my own but was fairly spent after that and the bunch trundled off. Myself and a guy from Glasgow Vics worked together and were only 75m off the back of the front group by the Lochlibo turn. No chance of catching on but kept trying. Turned off at Lugton into brutal headwinds for a decent ride home. Leg properly grubbed now.

Well done Alan. Great effort, especially after having to drag back on on your own. (The strong girl is Lindsay...)

• Committee

Excellent day including (as I pointed out to anyone who would listen) the traditional dragrace to Largs, into low sun glare, soaked and blinded by spray.

Ian Archibald and Jim C got bored and opened a gap at Burnhouse which Alan bridged in an impressive bonkers solo effort.

The mighty Lindsay and I chased the first three all the way to Barrhead.

Geeky analysis confirms very fast times out of Kilwinning which explains why I am typing this lying down.

Another hard effort today well done to the Alans. I'm sure it will all pay off in the end but was sliding off the back on the Kilwinning drag. Noticed on Strava that my ave speed was higher today than last weeks effort which saw me take the KOM for the Renfrew Winter Bunch. So an indication of the strength in the bunch today.