Bute APR - 21st September

Richard

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good luck all the JWCC guys, gutted to miss this and I'll be totally honest and say I just can't handle coming over to spectate and shout you on, need to busy myself with something away from bikes (and get some brownie points in the bag)

Anyway, the bookies have Charlie as the dark horse favourite as he has been exceptionally generous in his bribery of the handicappers (many thanks by the way Charlie that will buy some cycling bling )

Meantime dark horse No 2 is big Alan in group 3 who will surprise the scratch boys in the sprint if it all comes together,

Race hard, race with the head and have a blast,

Ohyadancer!

depressed from Lochwinnoch

• 2023 Subscriptions

Think i'll be ok to race so aiming to get the ferry at 12.

Just a reminder to fill in form for day membership of TLI (if you are not already a member)

go to www.tlicycling.org.uk then click on "day membeship" and follow the instructions and bring the form and £4 fee on the day.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cracking day out, pretty much ideal weather. Felt like its still summer!

Was in group 2 with Al, Alex and Colin - it looked like they were floating up the climbs and i was chewing the stem hoping not to get dropped. The rest of the group were ok - sometimes working well together sometimes not. It wasnt really helped by couple of riders (non Wheelers) who kept sitting in the moving up line only they weren't moving up and by doing so were blocking others. Someone also kept shouting that we should be going steadier on the flat bits...that was a bit annoying, suffering so much up the hills to then ease off on the flat. I eventually got dropped going up the final climb, but it was just as group 3 and the scratch riders caught so was easy enough to get back on over the descent. From then on probably about 40 riders for the run in, Alan really well placed about 4th wheel and an attack goes which he follows and they have a gap. To be honest at first it looked like a daft move but they were staying out and working well together so it started to look like it might work. I went to the front of the bunch to try and slow things down. That however definitely didnt work as i ended up getting swarmed pretty quickly. By then it was the finishing straight - i was next the kerb and boxed in so didnt bother going for it. Probably just as well i'd only have ended up sprinting for the wrong flag anyway!

Not that any of this mattered much - group 1 managed to stay away so chapeau to Charlie and Iain!

Well put Iain. i also drifted off on the return over Mt Stuart but got swept up by leaders of groups 3/4. Very happy to finish in the main bunch in only race of the season. Well done to Alan looking way too good. Bunch sprint not important really as Group 1 was never caught including those chancers McCusker and Couttie !

First race, and what a day for it. Absolutely gorgeous! After so many months without an issue my chain dropped of the small chainring and got jammed beneath the "chain catcher". That was at mile 10. Under a minute later I had it unjammed, slightly twisted FD and some new noises from the chain (sounds almost as bad as Charlie's!), and set off in pursuit of my group alone (where were the team cars that pull the pros back up to the peloton?). Around mile 25 and after hammering myself stupid on my own for 15 miles, group 3 caught me. I hung on valiantly for all of 100 metres but by that time I was too done in to keep with them, and then continued on my own for the final 15 miles. I passed a good few guys that had been dropped, but in retrospect, should have saved my energy and taken it easy to let the next group catch me earlier. Great learning experience and great day.

Well done to all the JWCC guys. Great showing.

Agree with Iain's comments re group 2. Pace slowed on flatter sections instead of guys taking short fast spells. Felt ok most of the time and in hindsight should have made more of an attempt at a decent attack on one of the climbs. Glad to finish in the main group and think I could have moved on the descent from mount Stuart but had almost lost a bit of traction on a corner earlier so decided to play safe. This left me a bit poorly positioned for the final run in and at 30 + mph left me too mich to do . Great day out. Well done to Alan. Chapeau.

• 2023 Subscriptions

results from braveheart. The novice and cx races haven't been posted yet

Although i think Iains placing might be wrong - im pretty sure he was standing with Charlie watching the finish when the main group came in!

APR:

Pos Name Cat Time

1 richard warnock B 01:45:32

2 Callum Johnston U16 st

3 William McMillan F st

4 Ray Hicks M st

5 Colin Sutherland C st

6 Rob Bloor C st

7 Norbert Nelz B st

8 Ian Anderson B st

9 Alastair Pell C st

10 Ronnie McKenna B st