DOUBLE AND SINGLE ARRAN

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

With dire weather forecast only 6 showed up, however the weather was way better than expected with drizzle first 30 mins then one short shower a few hours later. We all ended up overdressed and boil in the bag in the warm sunshine.

2 new inductees to the single loop Colin and Mark, well done to them. We literally arrived and asked the guy if we could get on and he said yes so it counts. The last car was rolling round the loading road. However we repaired to a local hotel where Greg and Andy joined us and we had delightful tea/soup/coffee/pint - delete as appropriate. Alan T was with us early doors and I guess he joined the chaps in the hotel for the 12.30 ferry.

Andy and I then headed off for a half loop over the ross and the string to scope out a 1.5 lap challenge, thought this would be about 25 miles so gave ourselves a leisurely 1h 50m to do this for 1350 ferry. However soon realised this was going to be a bit of a challenge as it is actually 30 miles and the ross is very very hard after a single loop, doh could have figured that one out. But we made it with a a bit to spare after the plunging 45mph descent into Brodick.

Conclusion, the double will need at least 10 as suspected. Watch this space for another challenge along the lines of 1.5 loops or figure of 8 or something else that is a good excuse to go to beautiful Arran and empty the tank.

Another excellent day on mini Scotland

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Awesome day. The extra loop made it for me. The Ross is a fantastic climb! Following up with a wee half after and Arran Single is always going to be tasty but we properly underestimated distance. Got to blackwaterfoot and we had the 11 mile string road with 40 minutes in hand. Arran double is doable for sure. Need some longer days on the bike and lose 1/2 st

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Went pretty much as I expected, getting dropped on the up bits before Lamlash (thanks for coming back for me, Andy, but it was always going to be futile). Thoroughly enjoyed my solo run round the Isle then picked up the 12.30 to Ardrossan. Went home via the Bagel Basket and their legendary carrot cake, round the coast to Westferry and Bishopton for a grand total of 105 miles. Great day out.

Guest George

Epic fail.

Shamed the jersey.

Tragically, as you will be a year older next year the chances of success are even more unlikely.

An act of sheer folly by Old MacDonald, methinks.

Paul, I mean. Not Billy, he is already acutely aware of his limitations .

• 2023 Subscriptions

Epic fail.

Shamed the jersey.

Tragically, as you will be a year older next year the chances of success are even more unlikely.

An act of sheer folly by Old MacDonald, methinks.

Paul, I mean. Not Billy, he is already acutely aware of his limitations .

Hello Holo

Epic fail my skinny lycra clad butt. Could have done with a few more bodies.........ah! but you weren't there!!!!!!!!! Epic fail to turn out me thinks

More than satisfied with doing a single Arran given the weather and the numbers. A 3 up from Machrie was a tough shift. No shaming of my jersey, it was there and it finished within the required time. Epic shame for posting such nonsense about your club mates Hologram boy.

Paul, I'm up for the Arran and a half as an when. It'll be............EPIC!!!!!!!!

Guest EPCC

Actually you never

You will have to do it again as you did not actually catch the ferry so skinny you can not claim a single Arran sorry them are the rules and rules are rules

Actually we did. I know, I was there, have calmac's seal of approval. Ferry was still loading cars and we would have been allowed to board as per the bloke on the quayside. The fact we 3 choose not get on is immaterial.

Paul McD said it counted and it's his gig. I think you'll find Paul's post refers to two new inductees to the single arran club. Rule is rules as you said. So twa fingers to you and henrietta, MacB.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Colin and Mark are official inductees to Arran Honours list. With Paul they awaited their club mates Greg and myself for a celebratory cuppa.

Spoke to Paul today about an Arran challenge in June. Paul and I scoped out The Ross. He has the route. It's epic. Hopefully Holo will come. But doubt it. 😂

Andy 😉

You rode the gutter on the way to Roubaix MacB. I seen you as I rode past on the crown, therefore sorry - yours (and only yours) doesn't count. Hand your medal back and good luck for next year's attempt. Any more rubbish to give me?

June is good. Hope you're fit by then Billy I'll need another wheel to suck on the flat bits.

Guest EPCC

Mark

Question were you on the first ferry back

Answer no you were not

I just think that a man with an ounce of decency would accept his shortcomings and do it again correctly

Re pave funny my photo has me on the crown and you in the gutter behind me , and I won't answer any questions about pave without a solicitor