DOUBLE AND SINGLE ARRAN

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Aristotle McDonald once said 'the best achievements are those which are very hard and which may require a few attempts to get there'

Anyway me, Colin, Alan and Greg set off in pursuit of the double, a 101 miler which comprised 2 laps over the Ross. Bit of a severe opener up the drag from Brodick then the Ross within 10 miles. Over the top the entertainment started with first Greg locking a back wheel, then Colin running off into the grass then me locking a back wheel !

Greg then had an mechanical which delayed us a couple of minutes. Then we got real stuck in. Colin decided to break off over the String for the next ferry whilst the 3 of us blasted up the West coast at 29-30 mph with a nice tailwind. The final 10 miles of lap 1 were into a strong headwind so with much relief we completed lap one and stopped at our picnic stash for a couple of mins refuelling and bottle filling. Upon restarting Greg had an injury situation which was a blow as he was a powerhouse during lap 1.

Alan and I got horsed into it for a second lap. The Ross is sore the first time, the second time it was, well I'd rather not remember it. We got to the decision point at Machrie after 75 miles and with 26 miles left and 90 mins to do it. We decided to go for the 10 mile route back over the String due to being unsure if we could manage 17mph average for the next 90 mins given the state of our legs, the Lochranza climb and the roaring headwind finish.

Conclusion is definetly doable double. Second lap would need at least 4 or more evenly matched riders all on a good day.

Many thanks to the chaps for indulging my dream. I will do the double one day even if I have to pay some sherpa style domestiques ! Had the fun of descending the String and hitting 52.2 mph which is a tad short of the wind favourable 56mph I hit one time.

Cheers, until the next recruitment campaign

Ohyadancer!

in terms of domestiques, i believe a certain B Wiggins will be free most of July. He is bound to want to help, always a willing man on the front, as long as you are from Isle of Man and tuck your elbows in when you climb.

duncan