13 Jan main bunch full coast two

Guest EPCC

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'd just like to say that I agree with the points that Mark has made - though there seems to be some debate as to whether or not his points are valid. Seems to me that it needs to be decided whether the Sunday bunch run is meant to a Club Run at a strong, steady pace, or a training session with some kind of structure and purpose.

Had Bill not turned up on Sunday, I would have come out with the main bunch, if only to see just where my fitness is compared to the rest of you. I would have expected a hard, but steady pace, close to my personal limit. I would have used the first 20 miles or so to gauge whether or not I was coping, and I would have dropped out if I was holding the group back. I would not have expected sustained bursts of speed with half the run still to go.

I think the bunch has to have the capacity to be able to bring in new riders to the group and help them come up to the performance levels expected of the main bunch - particularly at this time of the year when it can be a struggle to get quality miles in and even regular members of the bunch can struggle a bit.

While George is correct in expecting riders to bring a certain level of fitness to a bunch ride, you have to be careful not to frighten off people who could become regular members of the group with the right encouragement. At my age, I'm not likely to be one of them, but I do think this is important for the club.

See you all on Sunday.

Note the main bunch is not a training run

It use to be a run for fairly fit cyclists who can ride at a decent steady pace to give their legs a workout

It is not a thirty milers run nor is it any other type of run

It has never been eyeballs out for 80 miles but it always has some faster sections of run for example the coast into Largs and the run out of Largs

What is not included in Marks comments is whether or not the reasons of the bunch splitting was lack of effort

Boyd

Your point about development is fair however that could be said for all the bunch rides as apart from the thirty milers where do people go who want a bit more than what's offered

Where your point fails is choosing January as the time to join another bunch as you would expect that this is the time of year when you are coming out of the base period and beginning to start working harder

If you are wanting development between groups fill in the gaps first we have a start and an end but no middle

The bunch has and still will encourage others to join and we do strive to make them become part of the bunch

But what we shouldn't do is make the bunch change to something it's not

Re Marks point about group riding skills these should be corrected on the road by the other riders like most I am still learning how to ride my bike and will receive and pass comments where and when I deem it fit

The pace of the rides have decreased over the winter and as stated before the main bunch should be looking at about 20 mph or so depending on route

Andy, I'm driving to Miller street. Half an eye on the weather though. I do intend getting out if I can. I'll make the call in the morning what with snow forecast. If its safe to ride I will but prepared to do shortened and local route if necessary. If it snows over night then turbo for me. Keep an eye on the forum. Common sense approach for me.