martin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys

If it helps

Average speed for 9am bunch likely around 20-21mph, but can be 23-24 for the first hour or two. Don't be put off though!

No significant climbs, however the drags at Bishopton, Inverkip, Ardrossan and Kilwinning can be testing.

After the Bishopton drag there is a good 30 miles of flat, fast and steady to Ardrossan which might suit some. There is the Inverkip drag but an effort here will see you ok to Ardrossan.

Absolutely no need to take a spell if you don't want to. I can guarantee no one will be bothered - it's not a race and those taking spells do so by choice for training purposes.

As a guide - for those out last week the pace from Hunterston to Ardrossan is indicative of what is likely to happen for periods of 20 mins or so then everyone calms down for a bit then it cranks up again.

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

Ritchie, the guys I was planning to meet on the track are going by car to the clubrooms. No rush to meet them now. Can take leisurely pace to clubrooms if that would suit you more. What say we meet at 8.30 on the track at the far end of Kilbirnie (last turn off before leaving the town just past the industrial estate), that will give us a full hour to saunter up to the clubrooms, register and sort ourselves out before 9.30.

I intend doing the full circuit back to the clubrooms and then return back to Kilbirnie, giving me circa 75 miles for the day. I've no time constraints on Sunday and quite happy to trundle back to Kilbirnie later in the day. You'll be surprised how much a soup and a bun sets you up for the return journey. Won't be the first time I'll have been towed home by Davie and/or Ramsay or limped home on my jack jones. See how you feel once the Haylie is behind you and decide then.

Mark

Great day indeed. Great company.

It was my first for:

Getting above 50miles this year

Riding in a group that large

Going out with the club pace bunch

oh...and first time up Haylie Brae

Had a great time...even the Haylie :lol:

Bailed out at Kilbirnie as I had car shopping duties to attend to, but after the ride in with Mark O this morning I was up to the same miles.

Looking forward to the next run

Cheers Oh ya dancer !

And a big thanks to Martin Hello, beer !!

• Members

And so the season for kickings comes to an end. Yay! :grin: These fast runs have been quite an experience. I've enjoyed them loads, for the novelty value as much as anything else. It'd be good to do some more after Flanders.

Can I also just say that it's been great to see so many Wheelers out over the last five weeks. When we're out and about we see so many groups of three or four, and guys on their tod. It makes me glad to be riding in a bunch of ten-plus riders.

Thanks again to the providers of food (including the soup which saw me abandon my principles :oops: ), and to Martin for organising a great day.

I agree also, done the 54 miler, never quite managed to keep up with the bunch icon_bawling But have to take some positives, only the third time ever on a road bike, cross actually, first time ever over 20 miles non stop, and until today I had only done about 30 miles this year and 3 turbo sessions.

So all in all I'm quite pleased.

I just bought the cross bike 10 days ago, wonder if my beloved would buy me a road bike for my 61st on April

Big thanks to Martin, and other contributers.

John.

• Administrators

Few photos of the 9.30 group - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jannza/sets/72157626209158944/with/5502920890/

I did the scenic route. Had to stop at the top of "lumpy bit" as Martin calls it called Anderson farm as the farmer was moving the cows from a field to farm and his mrs asks "is that not quite tough coming up there on a bike?" I'm sure she knew the answer from my heavy breathing! I've never been so glad to see Kilmacolm Golf Club :grin:

Just unfrozen enough to type. Thanks to Paul for the leg warmers , knees would not have survived. Thought i would be getting a head start with all my warm winter miles- apparently not !

Thanks Martin and all food providers. Billy, Kenny great effort into Kilwining - so near yet...