Late news: Don Smith memorial, Sunday 6th March

martin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else doing the long run who wont be able to hold on to the fast group come on me and Charlie will need some more company

That would be me Billy. I am out on my mountain bike on Saturday and then out for a few shandies thereafter. I must say you and Charlie are being much too modest, both of you have been flying recently. 8-)

Ritchie, I'll be in the 9.30 bunch. I'll be heading up the track around 8.40 sunday morning esatern edge of kilbirnie and hopefully meeting a group from kilmacolm just beyond morrisons circa 9.15/9.20. If you're riding to the clubrooms I'd be delighted with the company.

Paul, if you're heading out from Lochwinnoch I'd imagine being at the semple loch around 8.55 if you wish to latch onto our wheels.

Let me know what your plans are guys.

Cheers

Mark

• Members
Anybody else doing the long run who wont be able to hold on to the fast group come on me and Charlie will need some more company Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

I won't be able to hold the fast group either, but I am tempted to start with them and gauge the pace. If it's silly fast, I'll take myself out of it; if it's just fast fast, I'll hang on for as long as I can and take my kicking like the last four weeks. I may as well go for the complete set of Reliability doings! :grin:

What time are the long-but-not-fast group leaving? I'm just thinking out loud now. I'll make a final decision nearer the time.

Ritchie, I'll be in the 9.30 bunch. I'll be heading up the track around 8.40 sunday morning esatern edge of kilbirnie and hopefully meeting a group from kilmacolm just beyond morrisons circa 9.15/9.20. If you're riding to the clubrooms I'd be delighted with the company.

Paul, if you're heading out from Lochwinnoch I'd imagine being at the semple loch around 8.55 if you wish to latch onto our wheels.

Let me know what your plans are guys.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sounds like a plan. Will that give us enough time to get there at a leisurely pace?

Don't want you to burn me out before the main run :)

Will you be stopping at Kilbirnie on the way home or heading all the way to the clubrooms?

How many extra miles would that be? I ask because the 55miles will be a PB for me so far this year.

My mobile is 07771 981395 is you need it.

Cheers

Just a thought which way are we going .as if its the flat ride through bishop I might be able to hang on to the fast group for a bit however if its straight into hills I will not

Billy,

The only lumpy bit is just out of Bishopton if I read the map correct. Then flat all the way round the coast. I'm expecting to be dropped at some point as is Richard (I think) & (I hope he doesn't mind me saying) so there'll be at least 3. Is this your 1st time on the Don Smith?

Getting confusing - bar a relaspe I shall be out on Sunday.

Plan on doing the long route but not going to even attempt to "hang on" to the racers even on the flat. Instead (and it depends on my condition) I would be looking at a slightly faster than 09:30 bunch ride in co-ordinated fashion (no stop / start) who knows I may be the first one out the back in which case I will bail and go and lick my wounds ready for another day.

Tom / Mark / Ian this may be what you have in mind but would want to keep it moving in decent fashion as the weather does not look too promising.

Davie

What I would say is.

If you're new to the club &/or the Don Smith & want to go with the 9am then give it a try. It's a social run. If you don't feel strong enough to take your turn on the front then nobody is going to hate you for it. It's good experience. 9 times out of 10 there will be someone willing to drop out and stick with any first timers that may drop out. You never know, you may be surprised at how long you can go before getting dropped if the bunch is big enough.

EDIT: That being said if you've never been out on a Saturday run with PMcD et alal then be prepared for some pain, in a good way of course. :oops:

Richie

The average speed for this run as a normal Sunday would be about 17 depending on the bunch if you have been training and out on your bike the 0930 pace would be best described as comfortable. The other ride should get you to being somewhere near knackerd, if you hang on to the fast group it feels like you are totally done and if like me dropped and hungry with some miles still to go the good thing is that the pain dosnt start until hours after the run

Thanks guys.

I did the Moscow reliability with the early group and it was fine.

When the club pace group caught us I found that fine as well. Can't remember

if we were keeping at the club pace but a couple of the chaps were kind enough to tell

me that I'd be fine on future runs with the middle group.

I guess I'm just wondering if it doesn't go well, will I be on my own etc.